gas & electric tour set up

Discussion in 'Travelling, Commuting & Safety' started by locoWelder, Dec 9, 2007.

1. locoWelder

locoWelder Guest

Ok I know I'm going to use a Staton kit on my GRR recumbent but now I'm looking into making a 12 volt chargeing system to charge a 12 volt car battery with a small 300 watt power inverter to run my laptop and other things at night when camping out, any Ideas on putting one together guys?:confused:

2. beast775

beast775 Guest

12 volt

for about 120 bucks you can have quite a bit of power.if you use solar panels.especially if your out on the road for the day.a 6 lb 12 volt 8 ah deep cell will give 3x the energy of a car battery.and lots less weight.just a alternative way to charge.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2007
  3. fredbert

fredbert Guest

4. locoWelder

locoWelder Guest

I think I'm going to try a 60 amp handa 12 v regulated alt attached to the trailer tire and rim(like a gebe setup) and pull it around on a couple of long rides and see if it will charge a battery, I hope it works, this will save me from getting a motel just to charge things and leave more time for riding, I'm hoping for 200 miles a day or round abouts...... P.S. I'll be around Long Beach ca the end of Jan..... hope to see ya Old pete and the socal gang!

5. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Keep us posted. It seems like sometimes when someone takes off on a long trip, we don't hear anything until they get back. It would be cool to hear what's going on during the trip. If nothing else, I'd like to hear about events while they are still fresh in your mind. Roll on.

6. Bean Oil

Bean Oil Guest

^ True that, 'van.

A nice lil' SoCal MotoredBike G2G sounds in order... I'd like to meet the few characters here from SlowCal meself. Keep us posted of your progress! and we'll try to figure out a convenient place to convene (though that might mean I need a roof rack for the car; L.A.'s pretty freaking huge and I won't ride through half of it).

Good luck on the charging system; I hope it doesn't create too much drag, then it'd be awesome.

:)~

7. Bean Oil

Bean Oil Guest

Unbelievable!

I ran into Dave/locoWelder today in Venice Beach, CA!!! He's already been to FRICKIN' FLORIDA and back... LOL. What an animal!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2008
  8. lobsterboyx

lobsterboyx Guest

they dont allow motorbiking down at venice do they?

9. iRide Customs

iRide Customs Member

That's insane!! When do we get the full report??

10. spunout

spunout Member

oh man. tell me he's not MAJORLY saddle-sore :shock:

11. That's awesome.....Loco, you rock!!!

12. locoWelder

locoWelder Guest

hey all ! man this is a hard trip but it's going good so far,bump into bean by happenstance @ Venice Beach on his lunch break, tiss so cool to meet people from MBc on the road, Yes I'm very saddle sore but thats just part of the fun , The new D.E. rig is doing fine.
    I'm going to be here in the Venice aera for some time befor heading up north so all you MBc'ers in LA, sound off and lets ride the beach some time........bye for now ........Loco

13. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

There's gotta be some good stories here. I wanna hear 'em.

14. Bean Oil

Bean Oil Guest

No, not on the bikepath, but we motor on the streets.

Meeting Dave/loco for lunch today... better get going.

15. Bean Oil

Bean Oil Guest

Lunch was yummy

I had a Thai Steak salad at Danny's, the restaurant/bar we met in front of two days ago; the soy dressing was almost like a soy/vinaigrette and the steak strips were medium rare, fresh and tasty...

I was there from 11:50. Waited until 12:30, then I ordered. I split at 1:20...

Then I rode to help a friend load two Ford flathead V8s into his truck and deliver them to a builder.

It was a nice day.

Good to meet you, Dave!