gas flow problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suggest buying a second gas tank, and building it up, keep your current tank for a spare. Scuff sand entire tank, apply JB Weld to seam, and to base of mounting studs, to prevent wobble. Sand cured JB weld, prime and paint. Let primer dry couple days before topcoating.
Let painted tank cure at least a month, before adding fuel. Replace stock petcock with a quality replacement. Got mine from Pirate Cycle.
Remove petcock sock filter, and use a 1/4 " inline paper element small engine filter. Welding splatter, grit, metal shavings, will build up in filter. After couple tanks of gas, replace paper filter with sintered bronze Motorcycle filter. NAPA sells Tygon tubing by the foot. 1/4" dia. works perfect, hold in place with 3/ 16" fuel injection clamps. As for the cap, could have a bad vacuum vent, may rattle itself OK, check for vacuum hiss after engine conks out. Watch filter, to see if fuel flows, as soon as, you release vacuum.

Last edited:
^^^all very good advice except the epoxy part.

better, with a new tank, to use solder. especially the studs, theyre notorious for developing cracks and leaking! a good heavy iron and ACID core solder.(or plumbing flux...not electrical! electrical is merely pine sap rosin...same as violin bow stuff, doesnt eatch into steel and tin properly like acid does)

rinse out with bi-carb solution to neutralise acid if pedantic.

epoxy isnt really a permanent thing around petrol.

if you "fix" a used tank with a flame or arc, wash it out well, using metho/acetone then water.

or simply run a hose from a handy exhaust pipe and "asphyxiate" it :) its how they weld them in the shops. then charge a fortune cus they tell you they use bottled CO2, argon, nitrogen etc...

old mates way of repairing dented tanks? a special cap with a spark plug, seriously!

also, one little thing worth checking, is that the overflow/air vent to the carby bowl is open! its inside the air filter, a little hole under the throat on an NT carb. ive had one or two still full of stuff! a definite flow killer :(

ok guys I bought a new fuel filter and cleaned petcock and it flows! burt it will not stay running It will run for like 30 secs after I move choke then it dies!i also bought new spark plug thanks for feedback guys!

are you using the choke to start it and then quickly taking the choke off again once it's running?

either youre turning the choke ON instead of OFF and killing it, or the main jets blocked. did you clean your carby after getting a new filter?

yeah it starts to die and I move choke halfwaty down it runs good for a min then dies
and if I take it off it dies

Sounds like a carb problem. take it apart and make sure the main jet and the seat are clean and clear. Check the float, it's not unusual for them to stick or be adjusted wrong. Then if it still won't run right, move the throttle needle to richen it up. (clip down raises the needle to rich):rolleyes:

Fuel Mixture

How much oil do you have in the gas???? too much oil will make this engine do just what you are saying...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back