Gas leak. A problem?

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by openscreen, Aug 8, 2011.

1. openscreen

openscreen Member

Due to a faulty petcock, between one and two quarts of gas leaed into the engine. Is this something i should be worried about?

This is my first build. Attached are a couple of pics.

Attached Files:

2. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

If that much leaked in...yes! I'd remove the plug, ground the plug terminal and ride it like you were going to start it. Let sit for a few hours (evaporate remaining fuel in crankcase) then put it back together. Fix your problem first. Or if you have a air hose, place piston at bottom of the cylinder and spray air into the spark plug hole.

3. FelipeCobu

FelipeCobu Member

Such a nice bike!

I had the very same problem and just purchased a brass petcock, hope it solves.

Felipe Cobu

4. openscreen

openscreen Member

Thanks, Al.Fisherman and FelipeCobu, for the info. I took the plug out last night. Hopefully that takes care of any problems. I once heard that too much gas in the crankcase will thin out the grease, harming the engine. Anything to this?

FelipeCobu, where did you buy a petcock with metric threads?

5. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  6. openscreen

openscreen Member

Dave, thanks for the compliment on my ride. Pipe threads...hmmm, that makes life easier.

7. openscreen

openscreen Member

Felipe Cobu, thanks for your compliment on my bike.

8. openscreen

openscreen Member

hi, Al.Fisherman. Weird, I got your reply as an email but not as part of the thread. Not necessarily a different answer. I am trying to get as much info as possible. Again, thanks for your help.

9. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

I posted then deleted... I don't think the fitting in the fuel tank is US, I think it's metric. I had a issue with one and if I remember correctly it is metric. I'll take a tank when I go to Lowe's later today.

10. openscreen

openscreen Member

it's ALIVE!! Thanks, Al.Fishherman, for your help. Started up on the first try. And thanks to everyone for the advice about petcocks.

11. FelipeCobu

FelipeCobu Member

I found I supplier here in Brazil at Rio de Janeiro, they have a better petcock.

12. openscreen

openscreen Member

thanks,Felipe, do you know if they export?