gas leak from tank cap

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by Minnesota Hyena, Dec 25, 2006.

1. since i bought my kit, my gas tank cap doesn't hold the fuel inside tightly.

If i tilt my bike, gas will slowly leak from the cap.

Does anybody experience this same problem?

should i get a new cap?

2. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

about the cap itself: yes, mine's a cheapo that drips sometimes, too. i keep thinking i should try to find a beefier gasket, haven't run across anything yet.
  3. bird

bird Guest

the old caps are useless. the ears break off realy easy or get jammed up. the new gas caps are the way to go.
  4. Steve

Steve Guest

Don't know much about these caps, BUT there MUST be a vent into the tank or it will form a vacume as the fuel is drawn out of the tank, fuel flow will stop, and then the engine will stop.
  5. where can i get a new gas cap?
  6. thatsdax

thatsdax Guest

Get your new updated gas tank cap from . Thanks..Enjoy the ride...
  7. Tom

Tom Active Member

Is it like a free warantee re-call sorta deal or do you have to buy it?
  8. etheric

etheric Guest

That's a similar problem to what I was experiencing as well. Posted on the same day, over here
    This kit was also from dax and purchased early december (06). When were the caps updated? The "new improved" cap listed on the thatsdax site looks exactly like the one that came with our kit and performs as stated in my post, and in the above post. What is the difference between the two?
    I figure I may just find one locally.

-edit- 4 hours later: Very Locally! I actually had one within 3 yards of where I typed the above message. It's an old moped cap that is a quite bit higher quality and works perfectly; all the tilts, vibration, and fullness I seepage so far.
  9. according to his writing, the cap is the only ventilation there is on our

that is why gas has to leak??

Maybe the ventilation is important, but i don't want gas leak from the cap. :(

and etheric, you replaced your cap and nothing leaks.

Does your tank form a vaccum?

does your engine stop in the middle?
  10. Heath

Heath Guest

hey this is Heath, co-owner of the bike with Ethan. the moped cap works great. we rode the bike quite a bit today (when we should have been working) and it did great. it's a cap off a Garelli. don't know if they are all the same or not. as a side note, it's a much more attractive cap as well!
  11. etheric

etheric Guest

This new (used) cap is vented as well. It's just a higher quality cap (plus it really does look alot better).
    I'd check out a local small engine shop for a used one if you don't enjoy gas spilling everywhere. If these are the new "improved" caps, I'd hate to see the old ones. If you want a new (or possibly used) or a even a locking cap here are some places that may have some.
    I've ordered parts from the first three and have had good experiences with all of them (especially Dan at 1977)
  12. Cookie

Cookie Guest

this sounds weird guys but how about not filling the tanks so high .....ours leaked when we filled them to the max but after the first lap full of gas (1 yr ago) I just did not fill the tank as much and did not have any trouble after that .
    I changed tanks to a chopper teardrop with a locking cap and now I can fill the tank to the top. (2.5 gal)