gas price calibration error

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by twinkiex, Sep 22, 2007.

1. twinkiex

twinkiex Guest

I just went to Circle K on Alvernon and Ft Lowel in Tucson, AZ to fill up my gallon gas container. The sign said 2.67.9 but the gallon cost me $2.84 (and I just noticed it wasnt even all the way up to the gallon line) so I went in to tell the manager and he agreed there was a calibration error and others have told him so! Thats .17 per gallon they are ripping people off.
    What can I do about this? Who can I report it to?:evil:

2. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

In Alabama its the Department of Agriculture, the weights/measures/scales division.

There is a sticker on the pump,tell you which agency to contact.

THAT is a good service, hope you get a whistleblower reward !

(oh, and beware of generic gas in the engines, fuel with too much water is the usual culprit in hiccupping.)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2007
  3. twinkiex

twinkiex Guest

I live in Tucson, AZ. The reason I was so peeved is because I fill up my car at that same station every week. I filled up at Shell couple weeks ago and the price was correct.
    I think I will report this.

4. azbill

azbill Active Member

5. rcjunkie

rcjunkie Guest

Had same experience on Indian reservation gas station. I put 20 gallons of fuel into a car whose gas tank only held 17 gallons. Worst part was that I had a 1/8 tank of fuel when I filled her up. Weights and measures division is your best bet.

6. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

i caught a station in CT several years back: when you turned the pump on, the cost went to .02 before pumping...they were fined big-time. it was before whistle-blowing was cool, so i got no reward, altho i got a huge amount of satisfaction from watching the re-calibration ceremony.

i hope you do follow thru. in my opinion, someone at the company was aware they were stealing...please keep us posted.

7. az cra-z

az cra-z Guest

Yep, it's a ripoff

This has been in the news for some time. Here's a national link:
    http://www.commondreams.org/news2007/0703-03.htm

Usual excuses: "It costs too much to.....(get new pumps, measure accurately, treat people fairly, etc., etc.)"

8. rcjunkie

rcjunkie Guest

Way off. Please don't introduce anything from Kucinich in response to a valid topic. People are talking about deliberate tampering of measurement devices to defraud the public. The link you provided is related to volume changes and accuracy in pump changes due to temperature changes. Not same subject. If you are concerned about fuel temps costing you 1-2 cents per gallon then fill up early in morning when fuel is cool.

9. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

Ya, in the old days when there was no self service, if someone came in to put a bucks worth in his tank, they would leave it chalked up until someone came in to fill up their tank on that pump and so the pumping would start at a dollar.
    It was fairly common, so that you had to look at the pump behind your vehicle before they started or you got ripped.
    doc

10. larymor

larymor Guest

First I ever heard of that one....makes sense though.

11. Dankoozy

Dankoozy Member

The days when you could do something other than filling a motorised bike with a "buck" worth of petrol.

12. Samdallas214

Samdallas214 Member

2 gas stations owned by the same person in my area of Dallas, was busted for the same thing .
    He had a device that he could turn off and on by a remote.
    The man owned 15 gas stations in Texas but only the 2 stations he and his brother ran in Dallas was ripping people off.
    He could even change the price while you were pumping.
    He got away with it for 5 years until an ex wife turned him in.
    He's in jail now , and had all 15 gas stations seized and his ex wife got 25% of take for reporting him.

13. Dankoozy

Dankoozy Member

There is a petrol station near where I live in Ireland and I wouldn't trust the owner as far as I could throw him. I'm tempted to bring down a graduated cylinder and pump out a litre of petrol into it just to see if he's ripping people off. This shop got "broken into" 3 times until the insurance found the glass was broken from the inside