Gasbike build

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by pitchy, Feb 29, 2016.

1. pitchy

pitchy Member

Howdy, this is my first build on a Huffy bike using a Gasbike Silver Slant engine.
    Was real pleased with the quality of the kit and so far it runs great but haven`t been able to put many miles on it due to it being winter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Modified the tensioner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Added another fender brace.

[​IMG]

Put a carbide light on but don`t think I`ll leave it on.

[​IMG]

Couple runs.

2. bakaneko

bakaneko Active Member

Nice. I take it that is the 700c Huffy Premier Men's Cruiser Bike, Root Beer. It is at such a great price at walmart $70 and looks nice too. Too bad it is out of stock...

3. pitchy

pitchy Member

Thanks bakaneko, yep that`s the model bike, they had it marked at 49.00 bucks so couldn`t pass it up.

4. KenM

KenM Member

That sure is a good looking ride you got there! I like it!
    Keep looking up! Ken.

5. pitchy

pitchy Member

Thanks Ken, I`m pretty happy with it so far but needs to be rode more.
    I`m thinking about a flat board racer with a four cycle next.

KenM likes this.
  6. bakaneko

bakaneko Active Member

Wow. $49 great shopping! It is a nice looking bike for $70 and even better at $49. A few things if you haven't done so I would double nut the mount, wheel sprocket, and muffler bolts. The chain is going to stretch 2-3 inches so while I like your redesign of the chain tensioner just be aware that you might have to move the position of it if adjusting the tensioner wheel doesn't compensate for the chain stretch. Get a 36T or lower wheel sprocket eventually to replace the stock 44T and you will experience the zoom zoom :cool:

7. skyash

skyash Active Member

I think you got to get the original fender on the back looks good with it on

8. pitchy

pitchy Member

Thanks guys, I`m thinking just the opposite on the rear sprocket and going to a 50 tooth.
    This bike won`t be used on pavement as I live in the country and a mile down a dirt road.
    I can`t put the side skirts on there isn`t enough clearance around the tensioner without cutting half of the skirt away.
    As far as chain stretch ya just remove some links to compensate.
    I`m putting a center stand on it today and a different older bike headlight.

9. pitchy

pitchy Member

Put the old bike lamp on, we`ll see if it stays put.

[​IMG]

Doug Foster and KenM like this.
  10. bakaneko

bakaneko Active Member

Okay, sounds good. Yeah, I don't have a chain removal tool so I had to pound out the links myself. It ain't fun for sure. You seem pretty good with tools. Since the weather is still too cold (snowed 3" here today), I would recommend fabricating a muffler holder bracket. I noticed you didn't have one with your kit (some kits do and some dont) and the vibrations/bumps in the road will put a lot of strain on the two bolts holding the muffler to engine.

KenM likes this.
  11. pitchy

pitchy Member

I think it did come with a piece of flimsy metal for a brace, I`ll have to make a better one.
    If ya grind the heads off the pins on the link ya want to remove the link will pound out pretty easy with a punch.
    Ya I have a shop and been making and messing with engines most of my life.
    Thanks for your reples.:)

12. KenM

KenM Member

That head light belongs on that bike, for sure!!
    Looks good!
    Keep looking up! Ken.

13. pitchy

pitchy Member

Thanks Ken that old light has been laying around for over 20 years, it was missing the reservoir on the bottom so we made one.
    It has a wick in it and burns kerosene or lantern fuel.
    The center stand I just got doesn`t fit this frame so I ordered one of those old styles that mount on the rear axle. cooler anyway.
    The Gasbike engine sure seems to run good, starts right up with one kick and no vibration sitting there anyway, hope it holds.
    I can stand on the left side and hold the rear wheel off the ground by the seat and kick the pedal and she starts right up.

KenM likes this.
  14. pitchy

pitchy Member

Here`s a vid of the light working.

KenM likes this.
  15. KenM

KenM Member

That is so cool! You are a Master Mechanic sir.
    You might have to use it just for looks though . Hard to believe lights like that were all we needed at one time. Not anymore ! If that were your only light come car driver would run you over for sure.
    Keep looking up! Ken.

16. pitchy

pitchy Member

Thanks Ken, yepper just for looks, it might keep ya from running over a skunk. :D

KenM likes this.
  17. pitchy

pitchy Member

Thought ya might like this picture, mini bike and big brother.

[​IMG]

Doug Foster likes this.
  18. KenM

KenM Member

Here is a better way of snow removal . Instead of just moving it into a big pile like that. image.jpg
    That HD wouldn't be a shovel head now would it?
    Keep looking up! Ken.

19. pitchy

pitchy Member

Ha now I`ve seen everything.
    Yep it`s a 77 shovel.

KenM likes this.
  20. JunkyardDog

JunkyardDog Active Member

Wow you did a lot of modifications. Removed the lower frame tube, replaced the rear fender, I like what you did with the chain tensioner, I had something similar in mind. only made in one piece, with a much larger, stronger toothed pulley on it. The chain will beat that white plastic one to pieces. A "made to motorize" rear wheel with a sprocket for the engine chain already installed on it eliminating the rag joint would be nice. Oh, and a front brake.