Gates AX27 Belt ???

Discussion in 'Whizzer Motorized Bicycles' started by go-rebels, Apr 21, 2009.

1. go-rebels

go-rebels Member

Is this manual clutch drive belt hard to find or what?

* Went to my local NAPA and they had none in stock, none in their warehouse and could not order a new one.

* Advance Auto told me the same story

* Autozone: Nothing

* Carquest: Zero

I found one Gates belt through and just ordered it. Now they have none!

What's up here? :confused:

2. stude13

stude13 Active Member

what is it used on. more details please.
  3. RdKryton

RdKryton Active Member

It's the primary belt for a modern Whizzer.

4. Hal the Elder

Hal the Elder Member

Same story here!

No autoparts stores carry Gates, so I went to an industrial supplier, specializing in belts, bearings, chains, sprockets, conveyor drive systems, gears, all the heavy duty stuff for manufacturing and processing plants.

Gates? Nothing! Even THEIR supplier had no Gates belts in his order book!

So I settled for Goodyear for both belts, and that got rid of my shreiking and squeaklng.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  5. go-rebels

go-rebels Member

Good job Hal!

I've got a few Industrial suppliers near me and was going to go that route if I struck out with Amazon.

I had no idea that they would be so difficult to locate.
  6. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

Oddly enough, I had no trouble finding it at a local Parts Plus store, and I bought two from them.
  7. rjs5700

rjs5700 Member

I have always used NAPA 4L285 belts. I've never had a problem getting them from NAPA. The newer Whizzers come with a 4L290 but I find it a little too long.
  8. WZ507

WZ507 Member

The "A" and "AX" series belts are industrial belts and are seldom found at auto supplies, although NAPA and some other auto stores do stock them. As others have mentioned, look for these belts at industrial bearing supply houses. The 4L series of belts are the correct cross-sectional dimensions (1/2" x 5/16"), but these are fractional HP belts, which means they are not as strong as the industrial AX series belts.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015
  9. Quenton Guenther

Quenton Guenther Motored Bikes Sponsor

10. ren

ren Guest

My local Bumper to Bumper Auto Parts carries them.

11. go-rebels

go-rebels Member

$3.04 !!!

Darn you Quenton!
  12. Traveler

Traveler Member

Does anyone have the NAPA part numbers Engine to clutch and clutch to sheave belts that will work with vintage Whizzers? (26 inch).
  13. WZ507

WZ507 Member

NAPA V-belts

The engine belt is an AX-26 and the rear belt can vary from AX-62 to AX-63 depending on chassis. The NAPA belts I have are labeled exactly as shown above.
  14. go-rebels

go-rebels Member

This belt change was by far the biggest performance increase I've done to the bike. There is absolutely no belt slippage any longer and consequently the bike rides totally unlike how it did before the change. The factory belt ran like a manual transmission car with a badly slipping clutch. And I tried all attempts to tighten the OEM belt w/o success.