gear ratio for non-pedaling start

blckwlfny1

Local time
11:40 AM
If. A 10 tooth sprocket on the motor with a 36 tooth sprocket on the wheel gives. About 35 mph with a gerar ratio of .278 and a 50 tooth sprocket on the wheel gives more hill climbing with a gear ratio of .20 what ratio do you think would allow standing starts with no pedaling for ur avg chinese 2-cycle?

Mine does. It's an 80cc kit from Zoombicycles and I just need a moderate kick-off with my feet on the ground to get going. I can lift the rear wheel and kick start the engine. I think I have a 44 tooth rear sprocket. I'm also a big guy (6'4" 300lbs). I'd imagine a smaller guy wouldn't even need the kick-off.

You can't just pop the clutch though. you need to feather it out and give it a little gas, like a motorcycle.

Mine does. It's an 80cc kit from Zoombicycles and I just need a moderate kick-off with my feet on the ground to get going. I can lift the rear wheel and kick start the engine. I think I have a 44 tooth rear sprocket. I'm also a big guy (6'4" 300lbs). I'd imagine a smaller guy wouldn't even need the kick-off.

You can't just pop the clutch though. you need to feather it out and give it a little gas, like a motorcycle.

I have the same engine, but though it would wear out the clutch very fast doing this. I do start like that even if I'm going very slow, but still moving slightly.

both of my bikes can take off just by using the clutch and no peddling.
one bike is a 66 cc 2 stroke with a 41 tooth rear sprocket and the other is a 49 cc 2 stroke also weith a 41 tooth rear sprocket.
the big difference is that my bikes are 20" frames with 20" wheels.
one bike has a 21 inch tall rear tire, and the other has a 24" tall rear tire.
I can take off with both bikes by feathering the clutch slightly just like a motorcycle, and i am getting around 25-28 mph top speeds.
i'm a little guy tho...5'6", 155 lbs.

definitly do not try to pop the clutch and do a burnout or a wheelie...there just isn't enough gear ratio there, and it's very hard on the spokes.
you can, however. hold the bike back with your feet and gently lift up on the seat with your inner theighs to take some of the friction away from the rear tire and the ground, and do smokey burnouts....lol

both of my bikes can take off just by using the clutch and no peddling.
one bike is a 66 cc 2 stroke with a 41 tooth rear sprocket and the other is a 49 cc 2 stroke also weith a 41 tooth rear sprocket.
the big difference is that my bikes are 20" frames with 20" wheels.
one bike has a 21 inch tall rear tire, and the other has a 24" tall rear tire.
I can take off with both bikes by feathering the clutch slightly just like a motorcycle, and i am getting around 25-28 mph top speeds.
i'm a little guy tho...5'6", 155 lbs.

definitly do not try to pop the clutch and do a burnout or a wheelie...there just isn't enough gear ratio there, and it's very hard on the spokes.
you can, however. hold the bike back with your feet and gently lift up on the seat with your inner theighs to take some of the friction away from the rear tire and the ground, and do smokey burnouts....lol

I'll have to try it. How long have you been taking off like that, and also does your clutch ever wear out?

I'll have to try it. How long have you been taking off like that, and also does your clutch ever wear out?

well, one one of my bikes i have been taking off like that since last august (2009) when i first built it. i have about 150 miles on it, and the clutch is fine. i have never had to adjust it.
the other bike is new and only has about an hour or run/ride time on it.
my street is on a slight upward incline and i can take off going uphill like that with no problem.

well, one one of my bikes i have been taking off like that since last august (2009) when i first built it. i have about 150 miles on it, and the clutch is fine. i have never had to adjust it.
the other bike is new and only has about an hour or run/ride time on it.
my street is on a slight upward incline and i can take off going uphill like that with no problem.

Ok, thanks for the info. Always wished I could do it, didn't realise I actually could.

well, it works for me, but it may not work for you.
wheel size, sprocket size and rider weight may all affect how well this works for you, or doesn't work for you.

well, it works for me, but it may not work for you.
wheel size, sprocket size and rider weight may all affect how well this works for you, or doesn't work for you.

I only way 130lbs (only 14) so I have a weigh "advantage" for this purpose. My rims are a bit larger.

Anyway, I'll try it. If I burn a cluch the parts are cheap, and I have a spare engine (crank bearings are gone)with a good clutch.

Last edited:
Back