gear shifting, is it possible

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by ollicat, Aug 5, 2008.

1. ollicat

ollicat Member

Hey guys, newby here with a Dimension Edge Friction drive. I love what I have but after riding for a month, I got to wondering. Is there a kit out there, either chain drive or friction, that allows the motorized portion of the drive to switch gears on the fly as you ride? I think the chain driven drives I have read about require you to stop and change a sprocket if you want great torque or the opposite, want to go faster. Is there any kind of kit that would use your existing gear setup so as you switched gears, the motor's chain would also switch gears thus optimizing the motor to your speed at the time?

I hope this is all making sense. The other way I was imagining is on my friction drive, having 2 different rollers, a large one and a small one with 2 handles. Just choose the correct handle, one for hill climbing and one for flat-out speed.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

2. Ghost0

Ghost0 Guest

The only kit available that I am aware of is our kit, but currently it is only available for the Chinese 2 stroke. We will be working on one for a 4 stroke in the coming months. If you would like to see how it is done you can click on the Sick Bike Parts link on the left side of the page.

3. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

Most friction drive units are mounted above/to the left of the rear wheel because of the direction of rotation of the engines. Would be pretty straightforward to mount two different sized rollers in a wide U channel frame, with the engine rack mounted above then and a common chain running around all three - then mount that entire assembly in a sturdy frame with a central pivot axis.

Alternatively, you could frame mount your engine (if it fits) and mount a driven chainring inboard of the pedal chainring, then drive your normally pedalled chain through that (see the ad for SickbikeParts, to the left). Although designed for use with HT type engines, I don't see why that jackshaft idea cannot be extended to a rack mounted 4 cycle engine too large to fit into the frame. Simply run a drive chain from the rack mounted engine to the jackshaft.

4. ollicat

ollicat Member

Thanks for the info. The kit at Sick Bike Parts is kind of like what I was imagining. Too bad it only works with the Happy Time motor. I have a Mitsubishi TLE43 that I love.

I am imagining a rack mount system that would run a chain straight down to the sprocket and be able to shift gears using the normal hand gear shifter.

5. loquin

loquin Active Member

6. SirJakesus

SirJakesus Guest

Check out the Staton NuVinci setup with TLE43. It's quite a bit heavier and more expensive than what you're used to though.

7. ollicat

ollicat Member

That Staton NuVinci with the Mitsubishi TLE-43 looks like the ticket. What a cool setup. $1000 is a little steep but worth considering for my next project. I wish I were more mechanical because the installation scares me. Has anyone used this system before? Is it hard to install? How did it perform?

Thanks

8. SirJakesus

SirJakesus Guest

I have one. It's fairly difficult to install but only because you have to bend the torsion straps to fit your bike.
    Its performance is great, the bike will pull you anywhere you want to go even up steep dirt trails. The shifting makes operating it a bit more technical than most other motored bike systems though however you will always keep a similar cadence to the motor so pedaling in tandem with the engine is a dream and its easy to judge if your gearing is going to be too short or long for the engine simply by shifting and pedaling a little. I have some videos on youtube if you want to see how she runs.... its fast, even with the extremely hilly terrain around here.

9. ollicat

ollicat Member

Awesome! Please send me the Youtube links. It seems like a dream setup, once it is setup.

10. ollicat

ollicat Member

I wish someone would offer a bike with this kit already installed. I can find my way through mechanical issues but am certainly not mechanically gifted like some these folks in this forum.

11. Scottm

Scottm Guest

I think spookytooth sells prebuilt bikes. See their link on the left side. You might check craig's list in your area. I have a friend here in Fort Worth selling his motoredbike on craigslist that he bought off of craigslist.

12. SirJakesus

SirJakesus Guest

I -would- sell my bike if the price was right but you'd be getting in the price range of a decent scooter :)
    The YT vids are in the picture gallery or my build thread. Ones just a walk around explaining the bike the other two consist of handlebar mounted video of me riding around my little hilly hick town.

13. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

Another angle to this is by adding shifting you raise the MAB to another level....one which offers obvious mechanical advantage but may cross legal boundaries, IE you go from owning a motor assisted bicycle to a motorcycle.

Just a thought.

14. Pablo

Pablo Motored Bikes Sponsor

Not necessarily. Using a bicycle's existing gears does not make a MAB = Motorcycle.

15. SirJakesus

SirJakesus Guest

Theres no real way for them to confirm that your gears are variable and not fixed without riding it themselves though. I'm not really worried about it, it sure beats an engine screaming to do 20mph just for more low end umph. If I ever get questioned about it I'll just tell them I use the NuVinci in order to alleviate a lot of chain and gear maintenance as well as the common gear skipping problems that really suck when you're putting a lot of human torque through the pedals. In my opinion it actually encourages more pedaling by the rider because you can keep good cadence no matter how fast you're going rather than a traditional MAB that you basically pedal on take off and afterward only when you need to assist the engine up hills. Most bicycle gearing seems to drop out a little above 20mph which makes pedaling at normal MB speeds uncomfortable to say the least. I pedal my NV hub most of the time not because the bike lacks power but simply because I can do so enjoyably without having to hyperpedal. It gives better gas mileage too. I'd be happy to MB around without its added weight and hassle of changing gears but in some parts of the country it's really the only way to go if you want to be able to climb hills without burning up your clutch. If I lived in florida or some other flatland state I wouldn't have even bothered with it to begin with. I like the look of the sick bike parts jackshaft as its a much lighter and cheaper alternative but those happytimes just turn me off. Too many break downs, loose bolts, leaks and miles with a vibrated numb arse for me to go that route again.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2008
  16. thescooterguy

thescooterguy Member

yes i make a kit ,

QUOTE=ollicat;146639]Hey guys, newby here with a Dimension Edge Friction drive. I love what I have but after riding for a month, I got to wondering. Is there a kit out there, either chain drive or friction, that allows the motorized portion of the drive to switch gears on the fly as you ride? I think the chain driven drives I have read about require you to stop and change a sprocket if you want great torque or the opposite, want to go faster. Is there any kind of kit that would use your existing gear setup so as you switched gears, the motor's chain would also switch gears thus optimizing the motor to your speed at the time?

I hope this is all making sense. The other way I was imagining is on my friction drive, having 2 different rollers, a large one and a small one with 2 handles. Just choose the correct handle, one for hill climbing and one for flat-out speed.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

17. thescooterguy

thescooterguy Member

I make a kit ...

I make a kit for a 49cc motor used the bike gears will cary a person 250 lbs to 45 mph maybe more , If you want see check out my photo album

18. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

I understand your interest in this. However, many states are regulating MAB as mopeds by maximum displacement, automatic transmissions and language which includes phrases like "the power drive system may not require the operator to shift gears....", etc.

Debatable sure, gray areas exist in these regs. One thing for certain though, if MABs become more numerous, we'll see a more regs, not less.

19. Pablo

Pablo Motored Bikes Sponsor

I do find it typical that politicians look for ways to make motored bikes ILLEGAL vs. legal. Follow the money.

20. ollicat

ollicat Member

Thescooterguy, tell me more about your kits. I can't seem to find your pictures in the gallery.

Thanks