gears or no gears

Discussion in 'Travelling, Commuting & Safety' started by sk8freak8989, Dec 21, 2006.

1. sk8freak8989

sk8freak8989 Guest

i am deciding on wich bick to buy to put a kit on and it came down to two choices, a bick with gears and one with out. which do you prefer gears or no gears.

2. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

i have a 5-speed, sk8freak8989, & imho, it's the best way to go for versatility & ease of maintainence 8)

welcome to the 'board :)
  3. sk8freak8989

sk8freak8989 Guest

i did not get any of that. lol. also which breakes do you prefer coaster brakes or hand braks.

4. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

well, i intend to have my bike for a long time, i felt that maintaining a freewheel would be easier than a coaster system, plus i have some lower gears for when i have to pedal.
  5. Tom

Tom Active Member

Having the gears is good, but then it puts additional controls on your already clcuttered handlebars. I have like 21 gears but only use 1 most of the time.
  6. etheric

etheric Guest

I ride with a coaster brake, but would recommend rim (hand) brakes. The coaster has got me a little nervous at times; but the bike is not a daily rider nor is it neccesary transportation at any time....just for fun.
    I also like single speeds (or very few gears), as I think it looks better, frees up the handlebars a bit, drops weight, is easier to maintain, and if you get a good gear ration you shouldn't have to pedal too hard or too fast to get 'er started or if she dies and you gotta pedal it home.
  7. sk8freak8989

sk8freak8989 Guest

well i am looking for a bike to put the kit on and i want a beach Cruisers type. is there any Cruisers bikes that have no gears but a hand brake. i have looked a lot but no luck.
  8. etheric

etheric Guest

Most every crusier I've seen has only one gear and a coaster brake. I really don't know how common a crusier with rim brakes are.
  9. Steve

Steve Guest

I've seen a few at the discount stores...Walmart and Target, but I've seen an equal number of 3 speeds, but they have a coaster brake.
  10. tirebiter

tirebiter Guest

You can add rim brakes real easy and they're not very expensive. I used these (Link) and they work fine for the way I ride. Most of the cruiser frames already have a hole to mount them both in the front and rear.
  11. sk8freak8989

sk8freak8989 Guest

i have decided to get the bike with the gears and use the shifters on a old road bike. they mount on the frame so they will not clutter the handle bars.
  12. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

yes, you could always go with a bmx-style 1-speed freewheel and lever brakes 8)