GEBE custom drive gear

Thanks for the gear part number. Will aluminum wear out quickly? I understand that GEBE uses hardened steel gears.

Running out of HP is a concern, however, I am of the feeling (perhaps over exuberant) that I will be able to maintain a 32 mph speed at 6750 RPM while pedaling. I have calculated that at 25 mph the engine is at 6750 rpm. Therefore a 17 tooth should put me there (32 mph) at 6750 rpm. The question remains--will I be able to reach that desired parameter? Do you have a gear that I may be able to use/borrow to determine real application result?[/QUOTE

sorry, missed this post earlier. my experience with the gears was that at ant given rpm i'd be moving 2.5mph faster for each additional tooth.

BUT there are deminishing returns. any certain amount of HP will only move any given weight and combined frictional / air drag loss so fast and no more.

IF you have enough pedal gearing advantage and WANT to pedal full time you MIGHT be able to do 30mph with a 15T.

i don't have any extra gears at present.

steve

yep, 5mm HTD pitch, 9mm width. i didn't run these for long enough to be able to estimate wear, but there was none visible at the time.

steve

Thanks DT- I am encouraged by the fact that I can pedal and hit speeds of 32mph top speed with the 13 tooth gear. While I have a secondary interest in a top speed of 35-37, my main goal is to be able to cruise at 32mph at 6750rpm while pedaling. (hence the 17 tooth gear) Since I am able to reach that speed already it seems plausible. In any event I am on my way to order a couple of gears and then on to a machine shop. Is there anything I may need to know about the machining process, or anything else?

Have you ever ordered a longer drive belt? Do you have a web link and part number?

Have you ever ordered a longer drive belt? Do you have a web link and part number?
Why do you want a longer drive belt?
How much longer?

GEBE has an exclusive on the HTD Gates belt that they sell

I doubt if anyone has ever ordered a longer belt because the
standard belt should work with the 16 tooth sprocket
Probably a 17 as well

Please let us know if the 35 cc R/S will pull any of those gears.
I have my doubts as it is a huge jump from a 13 tooth to 17
thanks

My GEBE belt is nearly maxed on the length already (as far as slipping on and off.) There may be enough slack if i insert the gear and belt at the same time. I may have to elongate the bracket slots at the axle. I am cautiously optimistic on the power available to achieve my cruise speed. The loss of acceleration and higher speed of complete clutch engagement may be undesirable though. I will keep everyone posted on my endeavor.

I have a 16 tooth on a 31cc 4 stroke, which is under 1 hp.

Does 40kph (25mph) easily, 50kph (31mph) with pedalling, and 60 (38mph) down a small hill.

Mind you, it does struggle up even smallish hills... Its way oversized for a small motor, but its still a bicycle :)

GEBE Speed

Gents, I own two GEBE's. One stock RS35, and one Tanaka 40 with the performance carb and expansion chamber and the highway gear. I love the RS35 because it has a gentle sound and is plenty fast for putting around the local area and I love pulling into a gas station and filling up for 40 cents.

The Tanaka with that expansion chamber is loud obnoxious, whiny, annoys the **** out of the neighbors, makes babies cry and dogs howl and and absolutly kicks the RS35's *** in both hill climbing torque and top speed. It also sucks gas at a much greater rate. I LOVE IT. My son (military) LOVES it.

Just a thought but if your trying to get some more speed, I'd consider going 2 stroke... This has been covered before but before you go nuts on new gears you might want to try this first.

Thanks DT- I am encouraged by the fact that I can pedal and hit speeds of 32mph top speed with the 13 tooth gear. While I have a secondary interest in a top speed of 35-37, my main goal is to be able to cruise at 32mph at 6750rpm while pedaling. (hence the 17 tooth gear) Since I am able to reach that speed already it seems plausible. In any event I am on my way to order a couple of gears and then on to a machine shop. Is there anything I may need to know about the machining process, or anything else?

there's no trick to drilling and tapping the gears ( ibought the metric ones, they have a 6mm hole in them and you barely take anymore out to get them ready for the 5/16x24 die.

you can do it at home with a drill press IF you have a clamp to be certain they are perfectly flat and the hole goes straight )

there are NO longer belts, sorry. i always removed the gear when i was messing with the belt, forcing them in and out over the flange COULD damage them even slightly.

there are other belts and gears they just aren't compatable with the GEBE drivering.

steve

Back