GEBE: Don's '66 "Heavy-Duti" EHO35

Discussion in 'Rack Mounted Engines' started by augidog, Jul 9, 2008.

1. augidog

augidog Banned

some of you know don's my local building buddy, a retired boiler-tech. don's been a big part of all the MB-innovations that have come out of ocean park in the last year or so, but he's a total non-internet guy. i know the gallery is for members-only, so i'm posting here but asking if a mod might think it's ok to let him be in the gallery :)

without further ado, his most-excellent build...some nice front-strap work, and closeups of how we use washers to "index" centering. his schwinn wheel has a shallow dish, easily compensated by transferring washers side to side:

Attached Files:

2. Zev0

Zev0 Member

Looks like a very good build. I likes the gas tank. From a CT?
  3. MotorBicycleRacing

MotorBicycleRacing Well-Known Member

Thanks for the pics
    You have some really nice mods there that cover some of the weak points of the GEBE kit

The standard engine strap it comes with looks like a recipe for disaster and
    getting the mounts off the axle is a big plus

I was thinking about doing the same fuel tank add on you did
    What size is that fuel line and where does it end up in the tank?

What did you do to ensure that the drive rim stays true and strong?

I have an idea to really beef it up
    Would it be possible to get a pic from the rear that shows the drive ring and axle?
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  4. augidog

augidog Banned

start with a good & true wheel, then simply take your time, for don it was a one-shot deal.

that 5th pic won't do? explain what you're after, can i just take a pic of my wheel which is off the bike?

yes, a ht tank found a good home.
  5. MotorBicycleRacing

What size is that fuel line and where does it end up in the tank?
    Where did you get the grommet from?

The 5th pic almost does it.......
    I need the view just hair to the left so I can see the axle and spoke
    attachment on the hub and the drive rim
    I can just wait 4 to 6 weeks to look at in the flesh :(
  6. augidog

augidog Banned

7. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

Nice work there! Me likes, and can't wait to see it in person! It'll be good to hang with don and Dee and cruisin and wavy and quay, and stormy, and of course the augi again. Only about a month and a half out!!!
  8. wavygravy

wavygravy Guest

dons build is so cool we orderd our kits the same day without knowledge of doin so, then we told each other the same day & i gave him heck about getting mine first, which i did tee hee,& got mine rollin first but hes had the time to do it right, ill do the final tweeks on mine this weekend. don is such an asset to motoredbikes & he doesent even know it! we drag him over to a puter once in a while & make him look! im honerd to call him a friend! hey riff cant wait to see ya at the run bro!! rock on crouton!!!
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2008
  9. augidog

augidog Banned

wavy got his first, about an hour :p

it was great fun to have 2 golden eagles hit town the same day :cool:
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  10. I love that mod. Nice trick with the frame welds.
    When that guy in that truck hit my bike a little while back it threw my titan rack a bit off. It's all adjusted now but on my right side it gets rather close to my wheel and on the left side I have what seems like a foot of clearance. My clamps are tightened down but I can't get them to scoot over as much as I'd like to. Your washer fix may just be the fix I need.
    I'm gonna look into this in the morning.
    On mine I'll need to give both sides the same amount of washers so the entire assembly moves more center then I just need to adjust my drive sprocket underneath.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2008
  11. Hive

Hive Guest

Frame Mount and Spoke Lock

Vegaspaddy should love Don's frame mount. Nice adaptation.

Curious. From the pics, Don has locked (wire bolts) the "cross" spokes on one side of rear wheel, but not the other?

What about drive ring locks?
  12. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

That's a SHARP bike. I, also, see that " Red Stripe " Bendix rear !!
  13. augidog

augidog Banned

that bicycle chassis is all original, excepting the add-on springer...but even that was added when the bike was new, it's one hefty item compared to the replacements available nowadays.

the drivering is the "lock" on that side...we've all had great luck zipping the opposite side of anything we run up here.
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  14. astring

astring Member

Are those just zip ties?
  15. augidog

augidog Banned

plain ole zips, yup :)
  16. MotorBicycleRacing

Zip ties aren't that strong and stretch

Whenever I find my Safety Wire Twister Pliers I will tie
    my spokes with wire.
    Probably will do the same for critical bolts too.

Attached Files:

17. augidog

augidog Banned

actually...after much talk early on at MBc, we decided we want a bit of give, "too rigid" was creating its' own inherent problems. of note is that this method has even helped when used with a HT sprocket. one side's already "tied" by the sprocket, why not tie the other side, too?
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  18. softride

softride Member

zip ties

Does any one have some close up pix of this process I assume when you say zip ties or tie wraps you mean the ones for closing grocery bags or do you mean the electrical zip ties.
    This American English still confuses this old Englishman brought up on English English :grin::grin::grin:
  19. augidog

augidog Banned

basic 6" nylon zip-ties...tug 'em tight with pliers, trim 'em with wire-cutters:
    use the black ones, the white ones "rot" after too much sunlight.
  20. softride

softride Member

zip tie

Thanks Augi:grin: