GEBE Engine Poll

Discussion in 'Rack Mounted Engines' started by Hive, Mar 5, 2008.

?

How Did GEBE Engine Arrive Horizontal or Vertical Tank?

Poll closed Jun 3, 2008.
  1. 2-Cycle Vertical Tank

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. 2-Cycle Horizontal Tank

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. 4-Cycle Vertical Tank

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 4-Cycle Horizontal Tank

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. Hive

Hive Guest

How did engine arrive?

Did GEBE set it up for Vertical or Horizontal gas tank install?

Reason for polling is that they seem to ship both ways, but when asked about it, appear to indicate a preference for horizontal set-up for T-3300s and vertical for T-4000s.

I received a T-3300 in vertical configuration, which is good for obvious reasons plus it sits lower, as GEBE notes on their site. Needs longer fuel pipe in vertical position, though.

I would have changed, had they sent it for horizontal install, however.

Seems odd, to some of us is all, so our curiosity was aroused...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2008

2. Hive

Hive Guest

Oakie-Dokie!

Good one!

I was ambiguous. Thanks! I clarified the question...?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2008
  3. Hive

Hive Guest

Added Info on Gas Tank Position

I should have added above that it appears the preferred gas tank position for 2-cycle engines is vertical, hose adjustment requirement notwithstanding.

4-cycle tank may have to be horizontal so oil level can be checked easily and/or added; that said, I believe vertical is better choice, for easier and higher capacity fill.

This may not seem a big deal, but it does influence use efficiency and ride quality, at least to me.

Moreover, when a newcomer receives a kit, it is assumed it was assembled by the fabricator for best use, and that seems not the case...which could plague the end-user with misunderstood problems on occasion.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2008
  4. Mary

Mary Guest

great idea, Bob! Do a poll...

Curiosity didn't kill this cat (ie, you)...:grin:

Great idea to do a poll. Doggone, did I ever get back to you on what I found out from Dennis. I don't think I did. Sorry.

I started to write you a PM, then got to thinking, I might be making more of a mess for you than need be so I held off and then I forgot.

Bottom line, I didn't get a Yes or No answer from Dennis. It was ambiguous at best.

Mary

5. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

are ya talking about engine-rotation affecting warranty? den told me it wouldn't.

6. Mary

Mary Guest

Yes, I know now (after I talked with Dennis). But that had occurred to me so I asked.

Mary

7. Hive

Hive Guest

Carify

Just to be clear:

GEBE indicated engine position was NOT warranty problem, right?

Makes no difference how trimmer engines sit, from running angle, be they 2- or 4-cycle.

Mary, poll at top, add your 2-cents.

8. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

to be clear...yes, i was told "no" when i asked if mary would affect warranty by rotating the engine.

9. Hive

Hive Guest

Curious Results

Although the poll already marks the trend in GEBE engine assembly configurations, it would be better with a larger number of responses.

That said, one is left to wonder why they would vary the 2-cycle engine position, instead of having a consistent method and rationale, customer preferences being the exception.

It remains curious.

10. vegaspaddy

vegaspaddy Member

hi hive,

as i mentioned in my build (just last week) my engine arrived with the engine in the vertical position and the fuel line pipe was already extended to reach to the bottom.

A BIG THUMBS UP TO THE GOLDEN EAGLE TEAM....

11. Mary

Mary Guest

Don't remember if I voted so here it is:

Hi Hive,

GEBE shipped me a Tanaka 40 engine with the gas tank in the horizontal position.

How's the weather in MN? Been fishin' yet?

Mary

12. Jim H

Jim H Guest

My 40 tank shipped vertical.

13. Mary

Mary Guest

Hi Jim,

When did you get your Tanaka 40?

Thanks,

Mary

14. Hive

Hive Guest

Tanks and Fishin'

Hi Mary. Interesting numbers. Am mystified why GEBE sends the 40s horizontal and 33's vertical. I have a slightly bawdy speculation, but it is not PC...

I have not wet a line yet. Season just opened for steelhead on certain river in WI and have yet to go. Local school won NCAA DII basketball championship ... plus some other minor issues.

Finished the muffler thingy forthe 3300, but have to paint and test it...when weather warms to above 50.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2008
  15. larymor

larymor Guest

first above 50 degree reading will happen this saturday in Fargo ND.

16. vegaspaddy

vegaspaddy Member

hi hive,

i think you meant to say 33s vertical, keeping a close eye on your homemade muffler, ps its going to be around 77s here today but riding around a city full of crazy drivers isnt much fun either.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  17. Jim H

Jim H Guest

Long before you got yours Mary; coming up on two years I think...

18. Hive

Hive Guest

Yes, Corrected

Thanks for heads-up, vegaspaddy...Indeed a brain-dead dude am I.
    Gracias!

19. Hive

Hive Guest

Just In Case

When you get on this thread, if you voted the poll, the site will indicate that you did so.

Opening thread or adding a comment is not the same as voting.

Just wanted all to be aware of that.

With over 400 views and less than ten votes, some may have different idea.

20. Hive

Hive Guest

Am Slow to Get It Sometimes...

It could be,

GEBE once shipped Tanaka 33 and 40 engines pretty much the same way - say, with vertical tanks, but after learning about the variations in fuel line length, they might be just setting up easiest way:

If Tanaka ships engine to GEBE with shorter line, they set up for horizontal install; if line extends to bottom, vertical install...leaving it to customer to make change on horizontal engines???

But, who knows, save GEBE?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2008