GEBE exhaust / muffler mod

I started motor one day and let it idle, walking about 30 yards distant. Noise was minimal and guessed at speed it was not that bad if farther away, so forgot the idea.

That is something I fully agree with, riding with 1 or 2 folks on 5 mile demo rides, when you are 20-30 feet, just 10 yards behind the t33, it is pretty quiet, even full bore.

Folks do say they can hear me coming up the hollers on Sunday mornings, to get the paper, but they are sometimes exagerating. Notice how slow cows are to catch you passing, and take it from me, they have good ears and eyes, you "surprise" cattle on a fence line.

The little Jet-Pro extension muffler, mentioned above, did get my attention and I plan to inquire on the pipe measurements and see if I can make it work and if it has a positive effect on reducing noise somewhat ...

What was the Jet Pro minimum order again? 10 or 25? Who talked to Jet Pro last month? I forget.

JetPro

Cannot locate them on-line directly, but will email Dave's site and ask.

Probably can get one via retailer at cost, with JetPro's help, to see if we can retro one to a Tanaka...our market may be of interest to them.

Personally, I have reservations about "stuff" hanging from bike, after my episode with my exhaust experiment. When that pipe dropped, it could have bounced into spokes or made contact with a car etc. I have no idea how high it bounced when it hit the pavement, even though I was going only about 15 knots.

hanging exhausts

well after about 3 different exhausts,i finally found one.the motor is almost silent,without hampering performance.i noticed a increase in midrange performance but a loss in high end wide open,but my wide open equals 46 miles an hr,im willing to let go of a few miles an hr with a improved low end plus fairly big boost in my mids.a 70s solex muffler attached via plumbers elbow,hidden in rear pannier bag.i know it works because i was talking with a person on the road and had to tell him my motor was running.i once remembered back in the 70s that i saw a 60s moped that i couldnt hear,it was a sears moped and the exhaust end was so small i couldnt bieleve it,so ive replicated that exhaust,once i get to speed,its near silent.the reason for all the locksand chains is my area,ive left a glass of juice out and returned and it was gone,unbilevable here,worse than a zoo,but in a few mnths ill be on a island where theres no worry from that and if there is ill find them fast and silent.haha

Attachments

• bikevid 004.jpg
    bikevid 004.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 660
  • bikevid 005.jpg
    bikevid 005.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 620
  • bikevid 006.jpg
    bikevid 006.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 602
Last edited by a moderator:
I have had a look on ebay and there are 4-5 on there at the moment. It seems that its an company aftermarket accessory for the VS since most of the ones I have seen online dont have this part.

I have to admit to being tempted :)

Jemma xx

hello alaskavan

well the muffler i have is velo solex 3800 muffler.i help out at a motorcycle salvage lot here in town,over 1,000,000 parts,its overwhelming but nice to have when i need parts,these mufflers are very hard metal,i had it glowing red and still was difficult bending it.there cheap and i have 3 of them.probably easy to find on ebay?i was talking to a 2 stroke racer in town and he said that motor packs a wallop he took out my bike,were still questioning why.almost like a turbo effect,i was probably just lucky guessing the exhaust configuration.one thing thats for sure with this motor is its quiet.all i can hear is the trans whine which is very little,and a power surge that comes on without the weedeater noise,im gonna do a vid of the exhaust for a before and after.

a few shots of exhaust

just a couple:eek:after i put in rubber blocks in the cylinder fins it was really quiet,sound deadener today then i wont even have any motor noise,this is getting rediculous i know but wow just power with no noise its all worth it....dagnabit,here goes that thread hijacking thingy again i thought i was just adding to the original idea which i got from jemmauk,should i have just stated a new thread,aaaaahhhhhh

Attachments

• bikevid 008.jpg
    bikevid 008.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 586
  • bikevid 009.jpg
    bikevid 009.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 602
Last edited by a moderator:
Another idea...

high temp silicone tubing makes alot of sense. While shopping with the wife awhile back I recall seeing an entire line of high temp silicone backware and accessories at a kitchen store. Maybe their is a cylindrical product that can be perfed, or a couple of bunt pans that can be nested to make a nice " spongy" muffler that won't damage anything if it falls off. :p
I may have to explore this.....:LOL:

Exhaust

But,all that stuff hanging off the rear seems to be more weight and more fuss, does it not?

Got to be a smaller simpler way, me thinks. And what about the fan noise on the Tanaka?

Yes, I understand about the need for stealth in some areas. And I too prefer zero noise, the the law of diminishing utility does come in to play.

Like I said earlier, I lit up the motor and walked about 30 yards (33 meters) away and it was not that bad. Still, a short small muffler, like that whatever Pro might help.

Back