GEBE I'm Ready to do this.....help?

Yes AL I've got clearance. The only squirrely issue would be me going 30MPH...not gonna happen.:oops: I'm interested in trail gearing, hill assist, back road bee-bopping, tame wooded trails etc. I don't think the suspension will be an issue for me since I'm not looking for speed. No baskets on the front end either.
While I'm thinking about it let me ask this......does the engine mount have to bolt to the axle? Could you use a knock-out or pre-drilled hole on the frame if parallel to the axle ? ( on the tail fins) How would this 1/2" displacement affect the system?

Hi BTB,
Bama has a real good thread showing detail of frame mounting for a Gebe. He seems to like it. I trust his judgement and skills. I think the salient point is the distance between the mount and the axle. Not the method of acheiving it. I don't know, but I would think that going to frame mount would mean you could retain the quick release axle.

Yep, that was my thought.......nor have to drop the motor & mount to fix a flat tire. But now we're getting into geometry. Maybe more of a hassle. Or I could carry 2 spare short bolts and wing nuts to temporarily move the engine mount to the knock-outs while changing the tire/wheel etc. A reoccuring theme for me is... the issue I never thought about will be the issue that bites me in the *ss.:oops: Less analysis and more "git -er -done" might be in order here. Fix it when she breaks......but just get the dang motor on the bike.

I think you're asking the right questions. And I think you've asked most of them. If I was you, I'd check out Bama's frame mount thread, make a decision, and jump. After collecting info, every day you delay is a ride you didn't take.

For me, my friction drive don't work in this rain. Gonna go check the crab traps, unless the wind keeps me off the water. Oh well.

GreyGeezer

Bama, there are a few GreyGeezer dealers listed in my area.:p I read your thread about bike types and the issues you mentioned about body posture, center of gravity etc. are concerns as well. My GT is a great bike but not the best to motorize IMO. I've laid the bike down on trails because the frame is too high and I can't simply jump off the front of the saddle and use my legs to break the fall. No doubt with engine I'll ride faster and fall harder.Looks like that SUN addresses most ergonomic issues and that's sweet. I'm going to take a look at one this week. Thanks.

The more I ride the Greygeezer, (Sun Comfort Rover) the more I like it.

I'm keeping the rear derailleur on 7, the smallest sprocket ring, and only using the front on the left hand handle.

Basically getting used to switching between 2 (14th gear) and 3 (21st), pretty much the only 2 speeds necessary for starting out and staying at top speed.

On 7 speed bikes, I stay in 7th 99% of the time. But I found yesterday, on a 3 mile stretch to get the newspaper, in 14th gear, half throttle, kind of just puttering along, peddling for exercise. This also increases "miles per gallon".

If you had the trail drive gear on, and were using those lowest 7 gears, I imagine you could climb some pretty steep hills. I ride around pasture trails, but nothing too steep, because the downside is the tires being street tires, won't be getting the grip of knobbies.

Tires just aren't as "switchable" (street to knobbies) as changing the drive gears from trail to highway.

However, "if you frame mounted", bought a second spoke ring, had a second rear wheel and with quickreleases on front, I imagine you could rotate from "street" setup tires for everyday use, then put the other 2 "knobby" setup when you wanted to do a weekend of outbacking....

That would be "future" thought, but framemounting from the get go would give you that expandability...playing around with the rear tire is SO MUCH EASIER having it framemounted.

Carrying as much camping gear as the setup I have on the red Rocinante would take some creative thinking, but if I did want to take Greygeezer out on the road for a week, framemounting would also allow switching my saddlebags from "behind the handlebars" to "attached to the mount, on either side of the rear wheel".

Last edited:
Suspension/Engines

Hello BTB.....I have the R/S35 mounted on a $100 Aluminum Vertical MB with full suspension. I had to frame mount the engine because there was a bolt in the way by the axle ( its easy to frame mount ) ...once you frame mount you can remove the wheel without disturbing the engine....way better! I had the rear strap break on me once at about 75 miles( the bolt broke)..fortunately I had a zip tie on and it held so no problems with acceleration....throttle cable stretch's when strap breaks. I replaced the bolt and used loktite.....added another zip tie so there are two....extra insurance. I know a lot of the guys prefer the tanaka because of the fuel tank thing but I like the Robin cause I can pull up to the gas station and fill it up without the oil mixing hassle and the sound is not as irritating as a two stroke. I just carry a MSR fuel bottle with me and I have never been stranded yet. 230 miles and smiling :D
Lars

Any hills out your way Larymor? I'm in W PA so I want to make sure I get the right engine. Thanks for your input.......I've been on the fence about the bike too...but I'm going to frame mount the dang thing onto my GT and be done. I could always switch bikes if i'm not happy. Can that Robin pull a modest hill ?( 200 lb rider)

Power to propel you...

BTB,
only hills are underpass and overpass..pretty flat mostly, but I weigh 245lbs and it takes me right over the freeway overpass etc. without a problem...up and down the trails by the river etc. I don't think your 200lbs would be a problem at all...just my opinion. If you frame mount on your GT that resolves the axle release and length issues in one fell swoop. My R/S35 gets 28mph with my 245lbs on it!
Lars

Attachments

• rsinstall 008 [640x480].jpg
    rsinstall 008 [640x480].jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 308
Also

Check the pawn shops, if any, in your area. You might be very pleasantly surprised.

And go all the way through the GEBE Dooz and Don't Dooz and related topics and the sticky on GEBE.

My experience gives the Tanaka the edge. Big clutch, lots of torque, simple, if you can find one.

Back