GEBE picture gallery-pros/cons/costs

Thanks

I made the brackets from materials you can find at the Menards/Home Depot/Fleet Farm type outlets, in the metal section. These were 36" aluminum strips, about $3.50.

Very handy for engine mount and for bags. I use a Trek bag with the hooks on the back. and am sure there are similar but better bags at places like Nashbar, etc.

I measured as best I could and then bent with a bench vise and large adjustable wrench and small sledge hammer.

Drilled and tapped where necessary and assembled using SS fasteners and lock nuts where connected to bike or engine bracket.

Very rigid, safe, functional bag carrier.

That and the Sinz throttle were worth while projects. (My exhaust extension for the T-3300 was not so fine.)

Last edited by a moderator:
In my former half-*ss days I would have drilled a hole, ran a bolt through it and locked it down with 2 nuts. I have to change my ways.:oops:
I don't even own a tap set but I plan to buy a kit. No drill press either so I'll have to look at a manual tap wrench. I take it 5mm is a common thread size used throughout most bicycles?
Hive, can I assume the decimal point floated on you while quoting the price you paid for the aluminum pieces? heck, that's worth 7 Wal-mart bikes = tons of spare parts too. :)

Fixed the price.

Typos kill me.

You can get along without tap. I had one from when I used to race sailboats.

I bought a 5mm tap and had the old handle. But, you can simple drill and use SS hex-heads and those self-locking SS nuts on backside...

The aluminum bends easily enough, using vise and the wrench to keep the bend point aligned with angle you need. Stuff is low cost so practice (what I call mistakes) is not a biggie.

I Forgot to Mention

That you might consider looking for a bike at local pawn shops and the occasional "yard seller" that you see - homes with a dozen bikes in front etc.

Amazing what you might find...and way better than the stuff Wal-Mart offers, but it takes some time. Don't forget to bring a tape measure to be sure the frame will handle the GEBE drive ring and steel mount. A front fork can usually be altered and add caliper brakes, if the bike is coaster only...

as to the latter, a friend learned the hard way. He finally went down and bought a new Trek and tossed the Wally bike in the dumpster behind the Holiday-Inn. He said it was so bad he could not sell and feel right about it.

may a gebe-ignoramus ask a quick one, re: coaster brake?

if the coaster brake is on a nice 12g wheel, and there's a ton of clearance for the ring, is it doable? thanks.

yep....you're right

I'm going to make the GEBE kit work on my GT. It's a great bike. I'll post pics of the rear wheel mount in a few days. I'll solicit mounting opinions from you guys once I get the pics ( and the kit ) Thanks.

Doable GEBE

Yes, if the clearance is the 1.25 between the frame and the nearest spoke at 7.5 inches from rear axle, if I have that right.

Should work just dandy.

I know it is dangerous, but I ran with only coaster on the Trek, but you never know. (Murphy's law is operant.) (Poor Murphy must have been the first Darwin award winner.)

If I ran with another cruiser like that, I would very likely replace the fork with a threadless head-set and use a dampened fork that had the brake studs, most do, and add front caliper brakes. A decent inexpensive fork might be the RockShox J2 Judy - 1 1/8th diameter...have seen them for as little as $50 to $60 new. Maybe add the shock-type seat post as long as well.

are you familiar with my bike? heavy duty all the way & confirmed clearances...front suspension triple-tree to be added soon, drum-brake is on the wish list.

i've been intrigued all along & am growing more interested the more i read. but i'll save the rest for when i have my own gebe content to contribute. thanks again.

Various

BTB: Look forward to install pics.

Mount that engine as close to vertical as you can...it will work either way, but the gas is better filled and so on...

And, if a 2-cycle, be sure the fuel/filter rests on the bottom of the tank in the vertical position; if not, replace it with longer line.

Local mower etc will have same size line...

Augi: Not familiar with bike per se, but sounds like heavy cruiser. They are usually very compatible with GEBE mount.

No doubt you will be pleased with the system. Fairly simple.

Back to work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back