GEBE Tanaka 40cc, burning my ***

hawaiioutdoors

Local time
10:48 AM
:helmet:To all you GEBE Gurus,
I installed a GEBE Tanaka 40cc on my Yeti DH-9, I had the Tanaka tucked up under the bicycle seat. Trying to get the weight as close to center as possible. I test rode the bike, and the exhaust was close to my right thigh, and my *** kept hitting the spark-plug....
I noticed on some bikes on this forum, the Tanaka's are set up vertical, with the tank standing up and down. This puts the exhaust straight down, which would be great.
What bolts are removed to do this ? The bolts from the engine to the mount, or from the engine to the gear-drive unit.
Is there any ill effects to the motor...like the carburator not working properlyl?
:whistle:

Last edited by a moderator:
I moved this thread to the rack-mount forum.....PLEASE...Do NOT try to dance around our auto censor.

Include pics of you bike & kit install to better explain your problem.

Last edited:
I moved this thread to the rack-mount forum.....PLEASE...Do NOT try to dance around our auto censor.

Sorry super moderator,
I was not trying to offend anyone, I was trying to say my right buttocks, kept making contact with the top of the engine while riding on gravel roads...

How do I get the horizontal tank converted to a vertical tank configuration?

If you want to turn the engine 90 degrees, you have to buy this Craftsman socket, available at Sears, about $6. (pic #1).

However, optimum performance is achieved straight up from the axle. (#2).

I'm not sure if what you are talking about on that gas tank configuration isn't taken from a pre-2007 thread, the old Zenoah's and Tanaka's had a drive shaft that held the belt gear, then you could slide the engine over the shaft and could turn it one way or the other before tightening it to the mount (#3).

As to wanting to have the engine closer to you on the seat, I've been doing the opposite, trying to push it farther back, in order to gain some room in that space for saddlebags or rack set-ups. (#4).

Attachments

• souveneer073559.JPG
    souveneer073559.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 416
  • souveneer091848.JPG
    souveneer091848.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 395
  • alum7assembly 022.jpg
    alum7assembly 022.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 397
  • 2008_1012mostlybikes0009.JPG
    2008_1012mostlybikes0009.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 419
I think this is the kind of set up that confuses the situation, that is a pre-2007 build, and there are a few more that look like it...

Attachments

• keithmissouri.jpg
    keithmissouri.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 382
Tanaka Engine Position - Vertical vs Horizontal

Sorry, I have been off the site lately, and I see now it is getting slow...but

A search might have turned this up this link: http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=8998&highlight=Hive

You DO want the engine vertical. No explanation why GEBE sends some out horizontal.

No-brainer. You need a suitable sized metric hex set, as I recall and maybe metric end spanner/wrench/sockets, as noted above. It is easy to turn the clutch/gear box 90 degrees. You will figure it out, if you look at it awhile.

You will have to lengthen the intake fuel line, so it goes to the bottom. Two-cycles prefer not to run out of gas; riders like to use all the gas possible to limit refuel frequency.

Easy, really, but be careful, the tank studs have sleeves than can be lost when you pull tank, and make sure all tight when finished.

The nice thing about the 2-cycle engine is no oil filler/dip-stick port to worry about.

Move that GEBE back a Little.
mine is actully a little bit past vertical.
Just make you front strap a little longer and lean that puppy back.
Then secure the front strap. and walla !!!!!
Yea man you dont want that thing up your A@# !!!!!
It will ballance the bike just fine in almost any position...
Double check belt clearence before startup...

Engien Position

I have to raise a word of caution here.

Any addition of weight to the center of balance will have minimal change to the gyro stability of the bike. but it will change it, particularly when moving off the straight line.

The further additional weight extends from the COB, the less stable the gyro effect, particularly on direction change.

In fact, if you use shock forks, the rig may become unwieldy at speed, particularly on changing direction quickly and create unsafe conditions...that could cause lose of control...

The closer the engine can be placed to rider, more stable the ride, though less stable than if there was no motor.

And, esthetically, it certainly looks better.

Back