GEBE throttle setup question

Discussion in 'Rack Mounted Engines' started by seanhan, Mar 14, 2009.

1. seanhan

seanhan Member

Can anybody tell me how they secured the throttle trigger on their bike.
    I used the stock clip, It moved too much, So I removed it and got a hose clamp at the auto parts store. It was too wide to fit through the trigger housing, and I can't find any that will fit, So I used 2 tie Wraps.
    That worked good for a While now there getting Loose.
    How did you solve this issue.
    :idea:

2. vegaspaddy

vegaspaddy Member

i found a hose clamp at walmart that fitted just fine, and am sure you might be able to find one at the local hardware store

3. seanhan

seanhan Member

was it in the auto section ?

4. Zev0

Zev0 Member

I've seen hose clamps as small as 1/4". That should work. Can find them all over the place.

5. Zev0

Zev0 Member

Another way of doing it without any clamp is the put a notch in your grip that the spring clip fits right into. Then if you don't like the position it's in, just turn your grip until it's where you want it. That actually is the simple way.

6. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

Yeah, a hose clamp works best for me, but you have to grind a tad off the edges to fit it through the slot.

Another thing I do, before putting the throttle on is put a zip tie on the handlebars, to fit into that groove on the bottom of the throttle.

That way I can have the inner edge fit over the grip, and the zip tie fills the space so it is situated level. Without the zip tie, the angle of the thumb throttle is awkwardly high.

7. seanhan

seanhan Member

Thanks for the input !!!

I will tackle that throttle thing tomorrow...
    Installed new grips today !!!
    used that WD-40 Hairspray trick, It worked good
    5 min. effertless job.
    Thinking about 86 ing my front fender, It looks stupid with no rear one.
    also installed a second fuel bottle holder and mount, so I figure I could go 80 miles, maybe more.....
    Does anybody need front and rear fenders and the back rack for a Schwinn Point beach, I also have the stock seat.

8. bamabikeguy

The reason you'll like the front fender is your first wet road, at least it will deflect some of the water from hitting you, smack dab centered in your saddle, from head to groin.

You'll get wet anyway, but without the front fender, it's like 3 times worse.

They are a cheap item you can add later, my little half fenders are about $4, can be painted any color.

On these two Pointe Beaches I cut the rear fender off right about where the engine mount began, also cut off half the rear rack, with a bungee cord it will hold something like a tool kit or even a small box for carrying stuff.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  9. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

The thumb throttle was bothering me so I switched it over to a twist throttle...
    :cool:

10. sabala

sabala Guest

Hose clamp from auto store. I just put it over the grip.

Attached Files:

11. bamabikeguy

How ya doing Rif?

Long distance on the smaller 2 cycles, that thumb throttle nice because 80% of the time it can be held down with a wire, to operate wide open, and you can move that right hand any which way you choose.

The 40cc Tanaka like you have is a different beast, but on mine with the 33cc, any time I'm out of urban situations, I slide that wire over the throttle.

I'm thinking about taking a 1,000-1,500 miler next month on the recumbent with the R/S 4 stroke, and am just wondering how much I'll miss that "cruise controlability".

Speaking of: has anybody done long distance with the 4 stroke yet? I haven't seen the thread if they have.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  12. kawasaki999

kawasaki999 Member

Notch the grip like Zevo said and use 1 or 2 zip ties, thats what I did to all 4 of my bikes, works great!!!

Attached Files:

13. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

Hey all,
    I guess I should have clarified that comment as I've had a couple of messages about it. There's NOTHING WRONG with a thumb throttle
    I've had the thumb throttle on many other M/B's I've had, and the thumb throttle works fine. and on long distance rides, it's fabulous for (as Bama said) you can use a wire tie to hold the throttle for those looooooong open stretches.
    I just didn't want it on Black Sunshine, I wanted a twist throttle. Again, the squeeze throttles are a fine control, and one can notch the grip to get it to sit solidly in position. I've never had any problems with this type control, I just didn't want it on Sunshine...
    Thanks guys!

14. seanhan

seanhan Member

Hose Clamp ****

Just got back from home depot,Lowes, walmart etc...
    Can't find a hose clamp that's 1/4 inch wide and with enough diameter to fit around grip, They are all 1/2", and wont fit through the slot in the gebe throttle housing.

:confused:

15. bamabikeguy

You have to grind both sides, or if you don't have a grinder, take a flat file, and taper the end, (maybe an inch-inch and a half) not quite to the slots in the adjustable strap.

When you can push that tapered end through the throttle slot, grab it with a pair of pliers and yank it through.

16. sabala

sabala Guest

Don't you have an Autozone in your area? That's where I got mine, it's 3/8".

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2009
  17. seanhan

seanhan Member

Yes we do, I will get in the ZONE !!!
    Thanks !!!

18. augidog

augidog Banned

yup, i notched the grip on my first install, and the method hasn't failed me since...flatten the tiny curve on the end of the clip to get a great fit, one zip-tie to tighten things up just enuff.

btw...i don't call it a thumb-throttle...i call it a trigger!! once you learn just how light a touch you need, and stop "squeezin' harder to make it go faster" the fatigue will all but disappear :cool2:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  19. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

That's exactly it too. It took awhile (my first M/B) but once I figured that one out, it's smooth sailin'...

20. flyer1

flyer1 Guest

I prefer the stock gebe trigger!, you can move it around to fight "fatigue". My bike has fallen enough that the cable housing crimped so it offers a bit of poor mans cruise control, need a new kickstand!