GEBE/USPD awesome accident!

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by augidog, Jun 26, 2008.

1. augidog

augidog Banned

it came to me in the middle of the nite, i swear...i popped up out of bed and went in to have a look...

i sed "self, we can do that."

we did do golden eagle/currie hybrid, fully functional...

gas-throttle on the right, electric-controller on the left.

yes, as long as i'm in the proper speed-range, i can switch from anything to anything...on the fly!!! :cool:

Attached Files:

2. WOAH! That looks like the Wal Mart drive gear. Now you can really up that GEBE gearing.
    Is that the Wal Mart e-bike parts?
    (edit) upon closer inspection it is not the Wal Mart offering.
    What is it like to ride?
  3. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

Very Sweet!!

that worked out nice!!

hmmmm..... with this set-up, you could add taller pedal gears, to pedal assist toward your next top speed!!

do ya follow me?
  4. jimmyglitter

jimmyglitter Member

I don't understand the benefit of it. Or is it just to say you could do it.
  5. Zev0

Zev0 Member

Dog, that rocks!!!!
  6. stude13

stude13 Active Member

7. Run out of gas? No problem!

Run a high gear on the GEBE drive? Start off electric then at speed have GEBE take over!

Increased fuel mileage.

Epic win all around,and Augi's example doesn't look bulky at all.
  8. augidog

augidog Banned

hehe, yeah, jimmy, since you're obviously so aware of the importance of making something like this work, even tho it is an early primitive attempt...yes, it is just to say i could do it..."it" being walkin' it instead of talkin' it.

and guys, this thing is really cool...ask wavy, he just watched me use all 3 modes, starting one after the other as i needed, now, instead of man & machine, i have man & machine & machine!

davo, that's a 52/18 pedal would sooo love to check this bad baby out :)

now, let's see what we can do with that 24V generator vinnie sent me... :cool:
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  9. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

Augi, that 24V generator sounds like just the beast that thing needs. I'd (assuming there is room) put two e-clutches on the engine output shaft, one to the gebe drive, the other to the generator set up in a rack-mounted frame parallel to the engine - when the engine isn't pushing the bike, let it run at max efficiency to provide electricity for the motor and charging the battery pack.

Very nice first implementation.
  10. augidog

augidog Banned

how about i just gravity-hang the generator off the back of the GEBE mount? gear it right and let it be a friction-drive. this is too easy. the "not too easy" part is the circuitry.

but i need a break...this thing rocks as is for now, finally i can get down to business. i thought i was building a vehicle to use while i finish the racer, now i'm seeing what's just been way i take this one back apart.

this one's a keeper & needs a name :cool:
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  11. Zev0

Zev0 Member

Here I sit, turning GREEN with envy.
  12. Scottm

Scottm Guest

:shock: WOW! that rocks Augi. Those middle of the night brainstorms are the best.

You could follow Large's Greek Mythology and call it Cerberus the 3 headed dog that kept dead in and the living out of ****, or his 2 headed brother Orthus reminds me of "Ghost Riders in the sky".
  13. azbill

azbill Active Member

that is pretty cool aug ! :D
    have you used both at the same time ?
    will the electric pull from a dead stop ?
    too many questions... but the fun part is the experimenting (for me anyway :lol:)
    enjoy the 'beast with no name' :D:D:D
  14. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

:p :lol::lol:

yes....Yes, I would. :D
    (wheels are turning here.....thanks);)
  15. duivendyk

duivendyk Guest

Interesting arrangement,how much does it weigh?.What are the stats on the electric portion?.Might be useful on hills,can it be used in a regenerative mode,such as using motor as generator to brake on hills to recharge battery?
  16. Egor

Egor Guest

I love it, that thing ROCKS. Now let me see, you are making noise out in the street, and you need to cut across the neigborhood using the sidewalks, off goes the engine and into stelth mode you cruse through the forrest and not bother the critters. Yep, that thing Rocks. Have fun, Dave
  17. wavygravy

wavygravy Guest

it was so cool to watch & hear the thing takeing off on electric to pedal speed then throttle on the gas, & yes stealth mode opens up lots of possibilitys! i guess our bikes are never really finished, just in a state of constant evolution, i love it!!!
  18. ozzyu812

ozzyu812 Member

Way down the line I've been planning on doin similar, only with a HT. I've got to move the currie to front sprocket 1st.

There's a 24V generator out there. PLEASE give more info.

As for as a name how bout "Anything Goes!"
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  19. augidog

augidog Banned

weight? a ton...look at that front-end and wheel...i guess over 75 lbs.

pedal alone up to 21 (yes! i can actually pedal-only with surprising ease)
    electric alone up to 12 (yes, it will pull from zero to 10 in a flash)
    gas alone (13tooth) up to 29 (yes, it behaves as well as ever despite the added load)

i'm a complete electrical novice and can't answer most of your questions...
    it's a 24V/24A battery pack driving a 400W motor.

so, see the ranges where i could make use of one or all three...for fun i've climbed the hill at 10mph with everything doing it's thing. there's no efficiency in that, tho, it was just to get a feel for the respective strengths and how they work together.

and using any combination is very easy, all the controls, switches, starters...all operated from the seat and while underway...cruzin was sucessfully switching modes only a few minutes into his first ride :cool:

EDIT: "azvinnie" at the racing forum can give you some info about snagging a 24V generator.
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  20. Esteban

Esteban Active Member