GEBE/USPD Hybrid...an awesome accident!

it came to me in the middle of the nite, i swear...i popped up out of bed and went in to have a look...

i sed "self, we can do that."

we did do it...my golden eagle/currie hybrid, fully functional...

gas-throttle on the right, electric-controller on the left.

yes, as long as i'm in the proper speed-range, i can switch from anything to anything...on the fly!!! :cool:

Attachments

• MVC-287F.JPG
    MVC-287F.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 964
  • Mvc-289f.jpg
    Mvc-289f.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 611
  • MVC-288F.JPG
    MVC-288F.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 626
  • MVC-290F.JPG
    MVC-290F.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 586
  • Mvc-291f.jpg
    Mvc-291f.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 599
  • Mvc-292f.jpg
    Mvc-292f.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 574
Interesting how you have the engine mounted, so that the gas tank is upright.. And how you welded on the metal tabs so that the engine brackets don't have to attach to the rear axle. I wish I had the welding equipment. I suppose it wouldn't work with a propane bottle torch welder.

I am too,but I am up to speed on the electrical stuff,batteries are rated by their ampere.hour capacity.That means, if it can deliver, lets say 10 amps for 1 hour it's a 10 AH battery ,Your 24?? AH 24 V battery would deliver 10 Amps for 2.4hrs,or 15Amps for 1.6 hrs,if you ran that 400 Watt motor (400 W is 16.6 Amps at 24 V),you could run it at that power for 90 min on a 24AH battery. By the way 400 W is 0.4*1.34=.54 HP .It would be interesting to find out if you could dump power back into the battery (regenerative braking) or charge it from your engine if you have power to spare.With some types of motors you can, with others not.

Charge Battery with a Motor!
You can charge with a earth magnet motor, but most have a freewheel built in, it could be eliminated. All you need to do is place a cont-actor that is activated when throttle is off. The windings would then turn into a generator, the current would be sent through a set of diodes to the battery, not overly complex. You would then be able to charge battery on a down hill or with the engine. That would be fun, Dave

Run out of gas? No problem!

Run a high gear on the GEBE drive? Start off electric then at speed have GEBE take over!

Increased fuel mileage.

Epic win all around,and Augi's example doesn't look bulky at all.

Thanks Large filipino for answering my question in a kind thoughtful manner. I see how that would be a benefit. I struggle on one hill with my staton/35 setup. Instead of going with a different gear which would effect my top end, I could use a battery setup. But my plans are to wait for the next generation of battery setup which hopefully will hold 10 times the energy and I will go with an electric setup only.

Thanks Large filipino for answering my question in a kind thoughtful manner.
jimmy...it looks like i mistook your brief comment for a jab at me...sorry about that. i sure would like to try an e-bike with the gumption to be a real consideration for full-time transpo...as you say, it's the batteries. the currie alone was good for 15mph for 12 miles...yuck :cool:

Last edited:
I was gonna do that with REVOPOWER

Revopower would have made a good hybrid. But alas.. It never happened. I have a walmart Ebike and thought that a revopower would make a perfect Hybrid. did not think you could put a drive ring on same wheel as the other two sprokets... Mmmmmmm Cool. Sneak in/out of the neighborhood on epower. And crank up the Tanaka on the main road. Arrrgh too many bikes already.

jimmy...it looks like i mistook your brief comment for a jab at me...sorry about that. i sure would like to try an e-bike with the gumption to be a real consideration for full-time transpo...as you say, it's the batteries. the currie alone was good for 15mph for 12 miles...yuck :cool:

Thanks for the apology Augidog. :)No jab, just trying to see the benefits. I should have worded my delivery differently and I do apologize for that. I do now though however see the benefits and its got me brainstorming too so I thank you for that. As you are, I am always trying to improve my design. For instance, I would like to see my top end for short bursts at 50 mph as I have to make it over a bridge that really that is the slowest speed. So now I have to take another bridge to work that is a longer way around. Do you think if I placed a front electric hub along with my staton 35 robin set up that if I used both together, I could reach a higher speed or just better torque? I would put a higher gear on my staton setup for a better top end.

Last edited:
Augie, would it be possible to mount that motor on a heavy-duty, standard-size bike rack? I have a Currie Mountain Trailz and was going to build a gas-powered bike as well, but after looking at that hybrid, nothing else will do! The speed and range of a combustion engine, plus I can run on electric only in areas where the cops are likely to give me a hard time.

Here's a picture of the rear rack on the Currie Mountain Trailz. The gray thing on the other side of the rack is a battery pack.

http://www.amtizipcanada.com/SP_A0047.jpg

Robert

Last edited by a moderator:
ok, somebody clue me in...what's the trouble?

can't y'all see i'm so high on this ride that ain't nothin' can rattle me? :p :p

i just did 6 miles of trouble-free at 29mph-gas, i have about 20 miles all told today...everywhere i arrive i stealth on in, kill the tanaka and do an electric parking job...whenever i take off (electric) i freak people out...i freak 'em out again when i hit the road and give it gasoline...my face hurts :D:D:D:D:D

here's how to "isolate" the golden eagle drive:
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=12133

i suggest getting the battery-pack into a new frame-mount location, what balance this thing has :cool:

Last edited:
Back