Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dankoozy, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Dankoozy

Dankoozy Member

Anyone here do a bit of Geocaching? I'm just getting back into it now that I've the bike finished but there aren't that many caches in my area. I placed a few of them though hoping it will catch on more around here.

2. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

As a surveyor, I have used GPS a lot to set property corners, but I have never done a geocache. Something else for me to try.
  3. Anton

Anton Administrator Staff Member

I keep coming across caches when I'm out riding! It's kinda cool coming across them without even knowing the coordinates.

Ah a fellow surveyor! That's my trade or well it used to be. I haven't done it for a few years now.
  4. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

When I was in the Marines, we did that sort of thing with a quad (artillery) map, compass and and acurate pace count. You couldn't carry a conversation for fear of losing your pace count. I think geocaching sounds more fun and you don't have to worry about the wind blowing your map away.
  5. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Ok I'll bite for all of us who hav'nt a clue what geocaching is. Is that a fancy way of saying I'm lost?
  6. Anton

Anton Administrator Staff Member

There's like these geocaching websites where you can get GPS coordinates for treasure boxes that people hide around the place . You go to the GPS coordinates and then you have to hunt to find what they have hidden. You can take one item out of the box but you have to put something else back in. At least that's what I have read from the ones I have stumbled across!
  7. Dankoozy

Dankoozy Member

Thats about the size of it. There is only one real site that is geocaching dot com and its pretty commercial, trying to entice you into signing up to premium membership for $29.95 a year. There are some small copycat sites but they don't have many caches listed. They also have a forum that is filled with overzealous "cachers" who call me a freeloader because I choose not to pay it. Still its an enjoyable activity when the weather is good
  8. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Sounds like a fun activity when the weather is favourable.