Get a brand new kit or buy some parts?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by SEGACDX, Sep 23, 2014.

SEGACDX Member

So a about a year ago I got a not so great GT5 from Gasbike for 130 US now the same kit is 173 US.

It ran fine for a while but it always needed way to much adjustment just to keep running.

So I have an option here Get a new kit or buy some clutch pads and a gasket set.

One thing I hated is the god dam bolts always strip and are a pain to replace around where I live I could not hunt any good ones down.

So what do you guys think? Here is the kit I am considering; looks like it has much better bolts.

I also want to add on the 1 Gal Tank and Expansion muffler.

The Second link has a bit more info on the kits.

I would appreciate some feed back on it.

2. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

not enough info

a couple pounds of metric bolts is pretty cheap on the inet

clutch pads are cheap on the inet

a gasket set suggests something other than bolts has gone bad

SEGACDX Member

What I am saying is that I have worn is down over a year and I could get a newer better kit or buy some parts and use it for a bit longer.

My reasoning is the parts I need are around 50 bucks but why do that when I can get a whole new kit and have a new everything.

Since I have learned a lot about these little motors this year I would be less likely to make the same mistakes and break things.

What I really need is you opinion on this kit and some advice.
  4. Purple Haze

Purple Haze Active Member

Get a new engine, not the whole kit, for less than $100. Be sure to get the same size engine, as some have 8mm head studs, and some have 6mm, then repair your old engine at your convienence. That way, if you have a major breakdown, simple engine swap.

SEGACDX Member

Yea that's a good Idea; the only reason I want to get a kit is so I have extra parts to swap if I need them and I know I will at some point the way these things go.
  6. KCvale

KCvale Motorized Bicycle Vendor has an unassembled box of engine parts for $99 delivered, I bought a couple of them, they are Yuan Dong factory (Skyhawk) parts.
    I built one out, the other is a cheap box of every part in a Skyhawk.

SEGACDX Member

Also a very sounds option, I bet they still use those terrible bolts though.

Would you happen you know the sizes of all the bolts so I can slowly replace them?

If it comes down to it I could always just build mine from the ground up.

On the other hand it could be really useful as a bunch of spare parts.

The decisions are real.
  8. KCvale

KCvale Motorized Bicycle Vendor

SickBikeParts has replacement hardware grade 5 or better for $10.

The only tricky part is pressing the bearings in the case halves and getting the shafts aligned right before you bolt the case closed.