Getting front breaks on my huffy

Aidan

Local time
2:05 AM
Hey everyone, I've just finished reading the thread on coaster breaks and came to the conclusion that I need a front break to compliment what I've got.

my bike is a huffy, I'm picking it up tomorrow morning with engine and all (I'll post pics when I do) and I live in Caldwell, a remarkably flat part of idaho. Then in the fall I'll be in boise, also very flat.

Since I won't be on any big hills and I don't plan on modding for speed or driving like a lunatic, I don't think disc brakes are entirely necessary. I was just wondering if you guys thought this would fit on a huffy bike if I removed the front fender?

http://www.amazon.com/Avid-Single-Digit-Bicycle-Linear/dp/B001UA3V82/ref=zg_tr_3494191_1

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I don't think so. Unless your fork already has the mounts for that brake welded on. But if that were the case, then you'd already have a brake up there.

You should consider something like this;
http://www.amazon.com/Pyramid-Side-...qid=1396201375&sr=8-3&keywords=bicycle+brakes

You'd have your coaster brake plus two rim brakes. That's the setup I'm using right now. I deal with some hills. And while I don't ride real fast I ride faster than my grandma might. This brake setup is more than adequate for that.

As far as the brake levers go, you've got two choices there. They can both be mounted on the right hand side in a way that allows you to wrap your fingers around and pull. Or you could get a dual-pull lever from one of the vendors on this page.

One piece of advice on that rear hub; take it apart and put new grease in there about once per season. The stock Huffy hubs seem to be able to take this sort of use, but it's borderline. You'll want to keep an eye on that.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
If your fork does't have cantilever brake posts on it, you will need the type of brakes in Bluegoatwoods link.
However, they do make some adaptors if your fork does not have posts.
You must order the correct adaptor. Some BMX rim brakes are different from mountain bike rim brakes, with the posts mounted higher.
$_3.JPG

3596_3.JPG

3205413.gif

That Tektro U brake plate in wheelbender6's post is what you need IMO. Long reach caliper brakes as suggested by bluegoatwoods have many disadvantages which are not shared by the BMX "U brakes", which you can install if you have the Tektro U brake plate. I recommend Odyssey Evolver as it is the best U brake I've tried.

TBH I don't understand why bicycles without proper front and rear brakes are made/sold, or why anyone would buy them. :unsure:

Will those breaks go on my bike? I've got kinda big tires with a width of 2.125. They seem like a good deal but I just read a review where someone said he had trouble getting them in his huffy bike

which ones?? and 2.125 tyres can vary, depending on whether the manufacturer can be bothered being accurate and depending on the rim they're mounted on. This is the problem with buying parts like these online.

*shrugs* I would. They're going to hate you for having an ICE on your bike, and you can't take it in the shop, but it's less trouble to check it'll clear the tyre and take it back in if it doesn't. Then again, returning unused items purchased on Amazon might not be too bad, idk really as I've never had to do that. I have had some pretty big tyres fitted with an Odessey Evolver, if that's the one you were thinking of getting I'd just go for it. The plate with the bosses on it can be filed out a little if need be (it's pretty tough stuff though if it's anything like the brake plates I've used in the past).

Back