Getting off the ground...

John-Forrest

Local time
9:14 PM
I have an "80 cc" motor that I recently installed on the frame of a WildFire frame. Once I get going, it rides pretty smooth, best in the low 20's, shaky at higher speeds.

One of my big problems with these motorized bikes is getting them started and off the ground. I have to pedal up to at least 10 mph to get the engine going - which can be a bit dangerous when the light turns green and there's a bunch of a cars behind me in a hurry! Also, if I conk out up a steep hill, it's impossible to start going uphill; I have no choice but to roll downhill, get it started, then make a quick u-turn and pray that gets it going.

Are there special starter motors so I don't have to pedal to get it off the ground? What are your experiences with this? These bikes are heavy!

The shifter is, by all accounts, a great product, but if you want a lower price option, consider a larger rear sprocket. I don't know what size you have now, but a larger one will help low end torque from a stop and up hills. It will cut into the top speed a bit, but the bike will be more practical at lower speeds.

Also, if it is hard to feather your clutch at low speed or from a stop, "the Manic Mechanic" offers a clutch actuator to allow smooth application from a stop.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~bikeparts/clutch_actuator.htm

its called a pullstart and i love mine,i push primer button a few times and pull start mine while sitting on bike even on a hill,starts first time everytime.
i used rubber between the mounts and frame and i have no vibrations at all now even at 35mph with a 44t sprocket. i am using a ram air intake.
yes these bikes with the engine are heavy and i got a rear flat tire the other day and my tire came off bike while i was walking it home,had to use plastic ties to hold tire on til got home,so its best to keep patches with you so you can just slide the tube out a little where the hole is and patch it while wheel is on bike,yes its possible.oh dont forget to have a airpump with you.

I was actually considering getting one of those pull starts; they told me I had to have a centrifugal clutch, meaning a major rebuild of engine. Anyway, the pull start still requires physical force, which, as I said, can be a disaster at an intersection.

My bike climbs hills relatively well compared to the 49 cc engine I used to have. There's a lot of abrupt steep climbs in hilly New England, so that is VERY important to me. Speed is not so important, I'd rather go at a comfortable speed. While I rev up to 30ish, things start to go wrong, it shakes all the nuts and bolts loose. I actually like to turn motor off going down steep inclines and rest the engine.

Having gears for the engine would be the way to go. Then getting off-ground or when hill gets VERY steep, you can downshift to handle it.

That clutch actuator sounds cool. My main gripe is having to pedal that heavy thing up to 7-10 mph before it starts or gets going. Anyone try one of those?

Last edited:
I don't know if this will work for you or not but my bike starts super easy by lifting it off the rear tire by the back of the seat and with the clutch engaged bring the crank arm and peddel on the chain tenisoner side to about the 10 a clock position and kick starting it just like you would a motorcycle, just make sure you disengage the clutch before setting it down. I start my bike this way all the time, I think it's a lot easyer on everything (chain, clutch, motor mounts, studs, etc), mine starts almost everytime on the first kick. Hope this will work for you, good luck!

I was actually considering getting one of those pull starts; they told me I had to have a centrifugal clutch, meaning a major rebuild of engine. Anyway, the pull start still requires physical force, which, as I said, can be a disaster at an intersection.

My bike climbs hills relatively well compared to the 49 cc engine I used to have. There's a lot of abrupt steep climbs in hilly New England, so that is VERY important to me. Speed is not so important, I'd rather go at a comfortable speed. While I rev up to 30ish, things start to go wrong, it shakes all the nuts and bolts loose. I actually like to turn motor off going down steep inclines and rest the engine.

Having gears for the engine would be the way to go. Then getting off-ground or when hill gets VERY steep, you can downshift to handle it.

That clutch actuator sounds cool. My main gripe is having to pedal that heavy thing up to 7-10 mph before it starts or gets going. Anyone try one of those?

John

Installing a cent. clutch and pull start is real easy. No major rebuild. Go to zoombicycles.com and parts and install inst. are there...POPS

I just ordered a centrifugal clutch so engine won't stall at intersections and got a pull-start for getting going. Gears would be nice.

Narrow the sparkplug gap a bit.
Wax the rope on the pull start. Before using. When you get it.
May need wider pedal setup.
That clutch actuator does sounds cool.
Good luck.

Back