Getting "sacked" by your Whizzer:

Hal the Elder

Local time
8:51 AM
HELLO...

The following would never happen to you guys, because you're all familiar with the "Ways of the Whizzer"!

This morning, after a great breakfast, I planned to put a few more break-in miles on Oscar before going to band rehearsal.

I wheeled him onto the driveway, put him on his center stand, turned on the fuel tap and mounted the saddle.

Then I gave him full choke, turned on the ignition, released the compression and began pedaling. He wouldn't start after the first few cranks, so I set the choke to mid-position and tried again...nothing. Then I set the choke completely off, and tried again. Still a dead issue.

Then I checked the fuel supply and the flow of gas from the tank to the carb by disconnecting the line from the filter to the carb.

Fuel flowed from the tank through the petcock, through the filter, and out the hose that connects to the carb's float bowl.
Fuel delivery was OK!

Then I pulled the plug and it was a bit sooty, but dry with a normal-looking gap. Resting the plug's body against ground, I pedaled again to see if there was spark across the plug gap. There was not!

Then I began to worry...did the CDI unit fail? The only way I could be sure was to test it with my own body! I fastened a clip lead inside the High Voltage plug connection, and holding the other end of the lead in my hand while touching ground with my other hand, I pedaled again.

I felt no jolts, which settled it...no high voltage from the CDI unit!

While sinking low into frustration and despondency, I happened to notice that the Kill Switch was in the "OFF" position! I then switched it to "RUN" and Oscar started on the first pedal stroke! I then recalled that the last time I had him out, I used the kill switch to shut off the bike, then turned off the ignition.

But I never did return the kill switch to "RUN"!

This is how Oscar "sacked" me!

HAL

Last edited:
Kind of strange how easy it is to forget something as simple as that, isn't it?

Still, this story had a happy ending. That's good.

Getting Sacked

Hi Hal,
The same thing has happend to me, when I hit the switch
and did not know it:???: But it will be the first thing you will check next time!!
Joe

As soon as I started to read your post I wondered if you turned the kill switch back on. lol
All us modern Whizzer riders have done that at least once.

Jim

Hal, you have just gone through the initiation rites for the Whizzer Owner's Club. I think all of us with modern Whizzers have done this, and maybe more than once!

Hey Kilroy:

It's good to be associated with such esteemed company! :)

HAL

Last edited:
Hal,
Don't feel bad.
I also had a brain dead incident. I was riding along and decided to move around and re-situate myself on the saddle. I soon found myself coasting with no power. It was as if someone turned off the key but I checked the key and it was on. I spent 10 minuted determining that my instinct that there was fuel but no spark was spot on. Only after I wasted my precious travel time did I figure out that my thumb had hit the on off switch on the right handlebar controls. I do not use that switch (ever) so I completely forgot about it. Go figure bitten by my own stupidity (but only once).

Kep1a

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done this, sad to say, more than once (the second time was at night). also, trying to kick start it without the key being turned on. it's not so bad, but doing it in front of other people is kind of ...

glad to hear you are up and running, Hal!!

I did not mean to imply that my thumb would never inadvertently hit that off switch again. What I was trying to say was that incident would be the only time I went through all that diagnostics and testing before I checked that silly little switch to be sure it was on. Now I don't coast 10 feet before I reach over and flip it back on LOL.

Kep1a

yes-- Hal -- I have also been to that place -- a few times

every time that my MB does not start on the first few pulls

I start to wonder -- what's wrong with my MB

yes -- it helps mountainman -- if the switch is turned on

it's an easy fix -- once we settle down -- to what's really going on as we wish to

ride that THING

Last edited:
Back