Ghost's full suspension build

Starting on my new full suspension dirt bike build and thought I would document and share my progress. The bike is a late `90's GT LTS-2 that my buddy found for me. $100 is not a bad deal in my opinion.

Attachments

• GT LTS-2.jpg
    GT LTS-2.jpg
    805 KB · Views: 4,290
Progress so far, a bit slow since I need to devote some time to other SBP projects. Rebuilt the front suspension as it was rusty and didn't work very well, contemplated a new set but too much money for this kid. Got them working pretty well. Also added a front disc that my buddy had laying around. Switched out the rear wheel with a spare I had and fitted a new mega range 6 speed cassette. Found a new set of bars and neck at a local bike recycler that improves the look and should make it more comfortable to ride. Also got the front freewheel chainring and bottom bracket installed. Stay tuned for updates as they become available.

Attachments

• IMG_0143.jpg
    IMG_0143.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 993
  • IMG_0144.jpg
    IMG_0144.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 972
  • IMG_0146.jpg
    IMG_0146.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 929
Made a little more progress today. Finalized the chainring assembly and derailleur. Attached the grip shift and adjusted, shifts nice, mounted tank and fenders. Installed most of the cables and set up the dual pull brakes. Got some nice new Scott grips. Engine installation is next.

Attachments

• IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 886
  • IMG_0010.jpg
    IMG_0010.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 870
  • IMG_0011.jpg
    IMG_0011.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 852
Update, engine is installed. Just have to finish the electrics and make a new seat.

Attachments

• IMG_0016.jpg
    IMG_0016.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 959
  • IMG_0020.jpg
    IMG_0020.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 1,513
  • IMG_0012.jpg
    IMG_0012.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 1,041
Not yet, need to install the CDI, plug wire, kill switch then I can ride it. I need to make a seat though. That one just don't cut it. I have one designed I just need to make it. I will basically just modify a banana seat and change the mounts. Should look like a dirt bike seat when I am done.

Dunno, I tried some of the early rear suspension bikes and hated them. I had a high-dollar cannondale in 2000 and ended up selling it, the rear bobbing drove me crazy. I hear the new ones are better, but I have not tried one in years :)

Your build looks nice though, I am sure it will fly!

Dunno, I tried some of the early rear suspension bikes and hated them. .........the rear bobbing drove me crazy. !

There can be a problem known as pogoing when the suspension isn't tuned for particular body weight. Changing spring rate and tweaking damping usually cured that, sometimes that required a different shock.

Today, the Fox Air Shock has left that all behind. Dual suspension definitely makes a world of difference.

That's gonna be a fine bike. I've never seen that particular rear suspension before. But it's obviously the one for the happy time engine.

Back