Ghost's full suspension build

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by Ghost0, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Ghost0

Ghost0 Guest

Starting on my new full suspension dirt bike build and thought I would document and share my progress. The bike is a late `90's GT LTS-2 that my buddy found for me. $100 is not a bad deal in my opinion.

Attached Files:

2. Ghost0

Ghost0 Guest

Progress so far, a bit slow since I need to devote some time to other SBP projects. Rebuilt the front suspension as it was rusty and didn't work very well, contemplated a new set but too much money for this kid. Got them working pretty well. Also added a front disc that my buddy had laying around. Switched out the rear wheel with a spare I had and fitted a new mega range 6 speed cassette. Found a new set of bars and neck at a local bike recycler that improves the look and should make it more comfortable to ride. Also got the front freewheel chainring and bottom bracket installed. Stay tuned for updates as they become available.

Attached Files:

3. Ghost0

Ghost0 Guest

Made a little more progress today. Finalized the chainring assembly and derailleur. Attached the grip shift and adjusted, shifts nice, mounted tank and fenders. Installed most of the cables and set up the dual pull brakes. Got some nice new Scott grips. Engine installation is next.

Attached Files:

4. Ghost0

Ghost0 Guest

Update, engine is installed. Just have to finish the electrics and make a new seat.

Attached Files:

5. Flapdoodle

Flapdoodle Member

Looking good. Have you test ridden it yet?
  6. Ghost0

Ghost0 Guest

Not yet, need to install the CDI, plug wire, kill switch then I can ride it. I need to make a seat though. That one just don't cut it. I have one designed I just need to make it. I will basically just modify a banana seat and change the mounts. Should look like a dirt bike seat when I am done.
  7. eastwoodo4

eastwoodo4 Member

thats sweet!
  8. Hawaii_Ed

Hawaii_Ed Member

Dunno, I tried some of the early rear suspension bikes and hated them. I had a high-dollar cannondale in 2000 and ended up selling it, the rear bobbing drove me crazy. I hear the new ones are better, but I have not tried one in years :)

Your build looks nice though, I am sure it will fly!
  9. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

There can be a problem known as pogoing when the suspension isn't tuned for particular body weight. Changing spring rate and tweaking damping usually cured that, sometimes that required a different shock.

Today, the Fox Air Shock has left that all behind. Dual suspension definitely makes a world of difference.
  10. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

That's gonna be a fine bike. I've never seen that particular rear suspension before. But it's obviously the one for the happy time engine.
  11. SirJakesus

SirJakesus Guest

Thats gonna kick some arse on the trails Ghost! Especially with that megarange cog she's really gonna haul!
  12. Ghost0

Ghost0 Guest

All done! Almost

So here she is, finished. Well they are never really finished are they. Took her for a spin and holy smokes this is awesome. Wheelies are a breeze. I just need to do some fine tuning to the carb and adjust the brakes. I wish they made these style frames because everyone should have one.

Attached Files:

13. Hawaii_Ed

Hawaii_Ed Member

Looks very cool! Nice job on it!
  14. pdxrhett

pdxrhett Member

please tell me the name of that frame. I am VERY interested.
  15. give me vtec

give me vtec Active Member

very nice... I really like the way it looks. Kinda like a super agile dirt bike :cool2:
  16. Flapdoodle

Flapdoodle Member

I would also like to know how I can get/make one for when the one I have now dies.
    Can you describe what it feels like on bumpy roads? Is there any snakiness? Any bounce that a shock absorber might help with?
  17. Just_Gasit

Just_Gasit Member

Great job, I bet your working out the tweeks and bugs as I type. (there always is a bit of tweeking) I like it! I can't wait to hear how it rides on the trails.
  18. lordoflightaz

lordoflightaz Member

That is one fine looking bike.
  19. Ghost0

Ghost0 Guest

The frame is a GT LTS2. It does snake a bit on the pavement but in the dirt you can't tell. Did a little extended riding today and man is it awesome. Pulls wheelies in 1st and 2nd. I can't wait to get it on some trails and take advantage of all it has to offer.
  20. machiasmort

machiasmort Active Member

That frame works out perfect ghost! Is there any thread you guy's are aware of that would list full suspension frames that would work with SB shift kits?

Who manufactures that frame ghost?