Golden Eagle Bike Engines and Accidents

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by agoetz616, Dec 4, 2009.

1. agoetz616

agoetz616 New Member

Hi, I am thinking of getting a Golden Eagle Bike Engine
    ( http://www.bikeengines.com/orderpage2.htm )
    for my full suspension mountain bike and putting a heavy duty rear wheel on it also. Their customer reviews show an awesome product due to their Harley style cogged kevlar belt drive system and the four high quality engine choices they offer, but I am concerned that accidents might be more common on these than anyone is saying. Any info on accidents? I have personal knowledge of too many bikers being run over, even in bike lanes on bridges. Even a Harley Davidson riding couple each lost a leg recently up here, due to an inattentive driver pulling out in front of them.

Regards,

agoetz616

2. give me vtec

give me vtec Active Member

good choice in an engine kit... the GEBE and staton kits are the best out there. As far as accidents... I ride mine all the time, not anymore dangerous than riding any other MB. In fact if you are using the chain tensioner that comes withe the cheapo 2 stroke Chinese ht kits... I would say that GEBE kit is way safer.

3. Turtle Tedd

Turtle Tedd Member

If a car runs you over you will hear a " bump bump " sound...if it runs over your head you will only hear one bump... or maybe not

4. happycheapskate

happycheapskate Active Member

I wish I could have a Golden Eagle! Wow that is the deluxe kit!

I agree that the chainstay mounted roller devices with the china kits are scary! I'm not using mine, and if I do ever, it will be on the pedal side. I've heard of people using set screws on the bracket or tack welding it to the frame, but if it ever moves or busts loose, it will wreck the wheel and throw the chain at the same time.
    EDIT. Aussie Steve, the king of motor bicycles, has collected photos of people's builds that use "straps" or plates to mount their rollers to both chain and seat stays! Wow. That's innovation.

The Golden Eagle looks like they have totally licked this problem, with a belt that never slips!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  5. happycheapskate

America is wierd. The country that gave the world the motorcycle acts today like they've never seen these things!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  6. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

The question of safety is always present in each category of two wheelers respectively....and pretty much equally on a case by case basis of each category: bicycles, motor assisted bicycles, motorcycles.

Ask around in any group of the above categories: serious roadie bicyclists or motorcyclists and they'll all tell stories of how automobile operators disregard, disrespect or plain don't see them. Thing's always the same, even if you're in the right you're wrong if you get hit by a car.

As far as GEBE driven MBs in particular being prone to failure I don't see that as an issue. I've put many miles on mine and it's very reliable. I spend a lot of time and care on building up the bikes to begin with and I start with a decent bike and reliable engine as well. I'd guess cheap bike failure to be more of an issue.

7. happycheapskate

There are very measureable differences in spoke and wheel quality between, for example, machine built steel rim wheels with soft steel spokes, on a Target $50 beater bike, and DT 12g spokes on a quality double walled aluminum rim, machine built and manually checked or hand built for high tension and uniform alignment.

I think the GEBE makers should sell a manufactured disc or mag wheel, or dedicated hub with the GEBE geared pulley built on or mounted to it. This is already a high end market when you are talking of GEBE buyers.

8. seanhan

seanhan Member

Yea

Those Cars don't care what engine kit you have !!!!!
    They just want to run you over !!!!

9. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

anyTHING on the streets with two wheels and no true protection
    runs the risk of getting hurt
    from a bicycle right on up to the big bikes

naturally with more speed comes more risk
    other drivers in cars and the such are to be always watched with a careful eye

never taking for granted on a two wheel with motor
    I have the right of way so I am taking it
    only to realize later
    I was run over by a hit and run driver
    now in the hospital with missing body parts !!!

I hate that !!!

as we ride those motor bike THINGS

10. seanhan

seanhan Member

Yea it's like on karate kid " License doesen't replace commen sense "
    Be careful out there!!! Asume they are all out to get you !!!!!
    Ride defensive !!!!
    Don't forget the helmet !!!!
    I a friend of mines kid was riding one of these push scooter things, The kind the have 2 rollerblade wheels.. He fell hit his head on the curb.. Was in hospital for 3 weeks got messed up bad !!! was only going 2 MPH !!! A helmet would have prevented that .. Even a cheap one !!!!!

11. shawnshank

shawnshank Member

I have a GEBE kit and love it. I feel really safe on it but things can happen. Always check the nuts and bolts after it's been sitting for a while before you take it out. I also hit the throttle before I get on to make sure the belt is tracking correctly and the rim hasn't gone out of allignment.
    I also highly recommend a fixed axle (not the quick relase kind) on the rear and front tires and the heavy duty rim and spokes on the rear as this is the point of most failures. Check your tire pressure often and make sure you always wear a helmet.
    Mine goes close to 35mph and that is plenty fast enough to get yourself good and hurt. I treat it like a motorcycle in that I always wear a DOT cert helmet, gloves, long pants and shoes when I ride. Lights are also key to safe riding.
    Take the lane when going as fast as the traffic your traveling with and keep right otherwise. Keep an eye out for cars riding in your lane ahead of you. I've almost gotten taken out more than once because they didn't see me on their right when they went to take a right hand turn (without using a signal).
    Which brings me to my final suggestion.....use hand signals and obey the traffic laws.
    Be safe out there. With a quiet ride and a small profile, mbers are hard to see.

12. JemmaUK

JemmaUK Guest

I did 2000 miles on mine and the only injuries where self inflicted - NOTE: Never brake the front wheel first in the wet at 35mph. I went down like a sack of potatoes on the engine side of the bike - had a bruise from my knee to above the flare of the hip bone, a busted brake lever (which saved my hand) and a leaky fuel return line to show for it.

The best way of riding is keep to the traffic speed as much as you can - if you can do 30mph do it - the rule of thumb in the UK at least is the faster you are the safer you are on any sort of bike, powered or otherwise... and be aware!

Then the cops decided that I was an easy target - I am still considering legal action over that.

I am considering a 8500 mile ride for charity probably late summer next year assuming I can get monies and such together - round the US - thanks to certain peoples actions and my own health its had to be delayed a bit but I hope to get it on track soon

Jemma xx

13. philshannon

philshannon Guest

gebe accident

I rode a mountain bike witha GeBE setup for about 3 months untill, and It was my fault my bicycle chain got tangled with my tire , the chain was too loose and had come off twice before but I did learn a lot after the concussion. broken ribs and collarbone. i was cruising along about 20 mph pretty as you please no traffic, a side street so I was very lucky, I did not have any protection except the helmet, now I ride a 250 cc honda Helix and the gebe bicycle only with a jacket with armor, boots and of course helmet , sometimes with padded over pants. Soooo don't think "nothing can happen, its a bicyclefor God's sake" whenever you are riding along motor or not and it stops before you are ready watch out

14. happycheapskate

philshannon: Was it the pedal chain? or the motor belt?
    Proper set up of a full suspension mountain bike includes trimming the chain to just over the minimum length required to be in the big cog and big cassette gear, with the unloaded swingarm. Then you compress the suspension fully in the small/small gear and make sure the derailleur can take up all the slack. If not, you may have to remove one more link (double check again with big/big). Now check your derailleur limit screws (to prevent chain suck).
    Good luck.

15. philshannon

philshannon Guest

wish I'd known

Thanks for the advice

16. happycheapskate

Sure. You don't want the chain to be so tight at big/big that it grinds or the der cage hits the frame, but you have to keep it from being too long or it will slap around. I think Sram 1:1 derailleurs have the really strong spring. I have a 5.0 r.d. and it keeps the chain tight.