Good-bye to China/Grubee Junk, Hello To Reliable Motorized Bicycling!

Status
Not open for further replies.
He doesn't care about anyone's success stories. Just like he wouldn't care if I said I have a 4 stroke chain drive that's been pretty reliable since I built it this past spring. Of course, there were times the bike was down for repairs. But the difference is that I can actually admit that all my bike problems so far with this bike have been 100% user error. But he doesn't care about any of that.

You guys are trying to resurrect a dead horse? How dare you come commenting in my thread saying I don't care about your success stories? Just recently, a guy brought his bike/skyhawk to my house for help because he saw me zooming all over town for so long. He had to keep going back to the guy he bought it from because he could never get it going. Didn't ride it once. So I told him the truth. My brother told me his handyman built one to sell. He said the chain broke right away. I'm sure he sold it to some poor soul that's regretting having it. Then I met a guy in public asking me about mine. He said he has a nieghbor that sells them. Except the kind with the engine in the middle and chain driven. Then he said they are always coming back to his house to have it worked on.

So don't tell me I don't care about your success stories, because I don't. Because I don't believe them. And don't come telling me your 700 miles is like the reliability of your car. I put over 800 miles a month on mine. Either you guys work/sell for those chinese companies, don't care about wasting others time, or have such low expectations that if it rides down the street a few times you're happy.

You should let this thread vanish away in time, bringing me back isn't go to help your cause.

And Fabian, engines come preassebled, in case you didn't know. I simply went over my very short allowed time limit for touching a Grubee that I forced the piston in and broke the rings. I'm also very glad it happened.

Last edited:
You guys are trying to resurrect a dead horse? How dare you come commenting in my thread saying I don't care about your success stories? Just recently, a guy brought his bike/skyhawk to my house for help because he saw me zooming all over town for so long. He had to keep going back to the guy he bought it from because he could never get it going. Didn't ride it once. So I told him the truth. My brother told me his handyman built one to sell. He said the chain broke right away. I'm sure he sold it to some poor soul that's regretting having it. Then I met a guy in public asking me about mine. He said he has a nieghbor that sells them. Except the kind with the engine in the middle and chain driven. Then he said they are always coming back to his house to have it worked on.

So don't tell me I don't care about your success stories, because I don't. Because I don't believe them. And don't come telling me your 700 miles is like the reliability of your car. I put over 800 miles a month on mine. Either you guys work/sell for those chinese companies, don't care about wasting others time, or have such low expectations that if it rides down the street a few times you're happy.

You should let this thread vanish away in time, bringing me back isn't go to help your cause.

And Fabian, engines come preassebled, in case you didn't know. I simply went over my very short allowed time limit for touching a Grubee that I forced the piston in and broke the rings. I'm also very glad it happened.
I've gotta chime in here, do you know how loony some of those comments sound??There's plenty of stories of people making those CG set-ups work well and for a long time, with mechanical-sympathy and constant improvement/tinkering.I personally wouldn't own one, did my research before diving in, agree that they may WAY sub-standard metal/metal-work, but how would people here have a vested interest in promoting the cheapest set-ups?Fabian for one, I've read a few of his stories, and seen his trailer hauler set-up, and that's not something you undertake if you didn't trust your system to get you there.Some people start with what they can afford, make due, and there's no time wasted that was fun wasting.Telling people to let the thread vanish is silly, just don't respond.That's how I came to the decision on my builds, if I see 2 bad reviews to 10 good I usually go elsewhere, you made your opinion clear and if I was new I'd consider it.Please understand though it takes from your credit when you harp, it's not for you, some like them, so maybe try to honor that.

I'm not using a grubee engine. I'm using a 98cc 4 stroke minibike engine. Had this bike since March. Other than the time it needed repairs due to my own user error, or times that I chose not to drive it due to weather or whatever else, this bike has gotten me back and forth to work EVERY DAY since I built it. The engine starts on the first or second pull EVERY TIME, AND I have NEVER broken a chain. I don't use anything out of a kit except the throttle grip and kill switch, but I never broke a kit chain or sprocket either. I use heavy duty chain from tractor supply now. It's so funny to me that there a lot of people using chain drive on their motorized bicycles (not to mention many motorcycles are chain driven, and yet you still believe that true reliability only comes from friction drive. How many engines died on you again? Like I said, you don't acknowledge anyone who disagrees with you. And what exactly was the point of saying, "how dare you come into my thread saying I don't care about your success stories, because I dont"? You just criticized what I said, then agreed with it.

You just criticized what I said, then agreed with it.
BA HA HA, pretty funny, I luv irony.
I actually prefer the tactile condition of MAB's, almost everything is to it's limit so you have to be in tune with the whole machine so you know when you're pushing too hard, and then assist with your motor.Joncy remember, mechanical-sympathy, there's a story here somewhere where a member mentions in passing " I blew up my Tanaka today" granted it was after miles and miles of WOT, but you can kill that thing too.

how dare you... [is called the setup]
because I don't... [is called the punch]
mechanical-sympathy and constant improvement/tinkering... [is called junk]
I'm not using a grubee engine. I'm using a 98cc 4 stroke minibike engine... [is called illegal]
I don't use anything out of a kit except the throttle grip and kill switch... [is called making all my points true]
I use heavy duty chain from tractor supply.... [still making all my points true]

My 2 Honda's gave me 5 months and over 3500 miles each, until they died. It's a good thing they're covered under warranty. NOT

I didn't have to work on any of them. They cost the same as the bus would have but without the limitations. You guys buy what you want and do what you want. But my thread is to steer people away from the bad experiences I've had and read and seen of others. And as long as this thread is alive and I see your non-sense comments, I will step in for the poor souls that don't know about that constant tinkering thing that you love so much.

Last edited:
See,... loosing credibility with every harp.I lifted that "mechanical-sympathy" line from a previous post:http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?5369-has-anyone-mounted-a-47cc-tanaka
here's the line:"So yes the Tanaka 40 is at the drive belt's limit. I could make it live a very long time because I posess mechanical sympathy. ( the only reason Ferrari was so successful early on was because their driver Juan Manuel Fangio had mechanical sympathy )."
So Ferrari is junk??GEBE is junk??GEBE's the best of MAB, and with improper usage, will break spokes, strip the belt, fry the engine.
Anything pushed too hard will break, simple physics, know/work within the limits, because physics don't care if you're miffed.

how dare you... [is called the setup]
because I don't... [is called the punch]
I'm not using a grubee engine. I'm using a 98cc 4 stroke minibike engine... [is called illegal]
I don't use anything out of a kit except the throttle grip and kill switch... [is called making all my points true]
I use heavy duty chain from tractor supply.... [still making all my points true]

My 2 Honda's gave me 5 months and over 3500 miles each, until they died. It's a good thing they're covered under warranty. NOT

I didn't have to work on any of them. They cost the same as the bus would have but without the limitations. You guys buy what you want and do what you want. But my thread is to steer people away from the bad experiences I've had and read and seen of others. And as long as this thread is alive and I see your non-sense comments, I will step in for the poor souls that don't know about that constant tinkering thing that you love so much.

^^^^ Is called only quoting half of what I said. Twisting things other people say to fit your own agenda. Shame on you! Even when I did have a kit bike, the only weak point was the engine itself. My kit chain needed replaced after something like 2 years, and that's not with light or moderate use. A 98cc engine being illegal has nothing to do with the validity of this thread, and it certainly has nothing to do with the reliability of chain drive.

Basically what the OP wants is for his point to be made without being questioned or debated, telling us to let the thread die out instead of giving our constitutionally entitled opinion. That's definitely NOT going to happen.

You guys are trying to resurrect a dead horse? How dare you come commenting in my thread saying I don't care about your success stories?
So just how many bike build types have you tried in the last year to say your way is still the best way johncy?

I have been building custom MB's to the customers needs for a living since 2009 with over 100 to my name and built most everything from simple 2-stroke direct drives

Electra66.gif

To two-stroke modified high performance shifters

Dust.gif

And I use nothing but Skyhawk engines for 2-stroke and the only engine failure was a customer that ran out of mix gas and thought it would be OK to ride it home on straight fuel.

I like the new 2013 'parts in a box' Skyhawk for ~$150 delivered even better, bought 5 of them.
gasbike didn't get a 2013 EPA re-certification so the engine comes in 3 boxes in one big box.

One box with the lower end, one with the piston, head, rod and bearing you assemble yourself which for me is just dandy as I look in there anyway especially with the new one piece balanced cranks that are smooth as silk.

And of course a box with other kit parts which as always is 2/3 gallon tank not that crappy 1/2 gallon most other kits have and they changed the whole petcock attachment mount and put in a double long inner tank filter and include an external filter.

ChromeGX7.gif

Again, how many bike drive train and power sources have you actually built and tried to come your conclusion your system is the only way to go for everyone?

Considering how many 'other peoples' builds I have seen for repair that couldn't understand the importance of chain alignment and engine mounting that had the same problems as you... Broken chains, tensioner into the spokes, bla bla bla, it wasn't the parts, it was the installation.

I love 4-strokes too, from center mount 49cc with 4G belt direct drives..

Fatal4.gif

To the 49cc shifters...

4sElectra.gif

And even a high end 79cc Preditor direct drive build recently.

79ccPred.gif

I* have build several electric shifting 2 and 3 wheelers as well but there is a picture per post limit here but I think I have made my point.

What I am still trying to figure out in this year old topic is why you continue to insist anything but some wimpy 38cc engine way above the center of gravity above the back wheel is the only way to go.

I am sure some snap on wheel-rubber is perfect for your mechanical skill level but about as far from the best as you can get in my opinion to the point I won't even build them and literally laughing out loud at your thinking that is the best because you can't build anything better.

You welcomed success stories, I have around 80 documented with pictures of them I built on my web site and not one is your solution and every one will run circles around your bike, even the ones that cost far less.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back