Good First Setup

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by mega man, Jun 24, 2012.

1. mega man

mega man New Member

Hey guys, I am looking to build my first motorised bike in the upcoming future but have no idea on what would be a good first bike and engine kit to go along with it. I am only 15 but I am turning 16 next month so I will legally be able to operate the bike in my state by the time I actually build my bike hopefully. So if you all could maybe inform me of a good first time bike + engine kit combination and the links/ resources of where to acquire them, I would greatly appreciate it.

2. masterx1234

masterx1234 Member

a great starting bike would be a nice open v-frame mountain bike and almost any of the 2-stroke kits will fit them

3. loquin

loquin Active Member

You really need to start by defining what you want in a kit. There are a lot of factors that you might want to include, like:
    • Cost
    • Reliability
    • Quality (IMO, reliability and quality tend to go hand in hand)
    • Ease of installation
    • Noise
    • Engine type (2 versus 4 stroke)
    • Mounting location (in-frame/rack mount)
    • Climate
    • Terrain
    • Rider weight
    • Need to pull a trailer?
    • Power desired
    • Power needed

Once you've come up with a list of the items that are important to you, and an idea as to HOW important each is, relative to the others, then you can go about making a better decision as to what you need in your kit, and which kit can better fit those needs.

Remember, everybody has a different list of what is important to them, and by how much. What I consider an ideal kit probably is NOT going to match what you think is ideal.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012