good front fork for gas mountian bike?

jatgm1

Local time
9:51 AM
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Old used Marzocchi bomber .. preferably Z1 but they're all good.. just don't get anything "xc" or "super light" obviously.
Coil spring and open oil bath damping is proper classic motocross tech and easiest to mess about with.
I'm basically just telling you what I have, lol. All my suspension forks have been Marzocchi.
I have a very nice black 2001 Z1 with quick release dropouts and it is going straight on my LTS 5 when it arrives!

Last edited:
Is you're headset threadless or threaded? If it's threaded it's best to find a fork that has almost the exact same steerer tube length. If it's threadless, it is real easy to space out any extra steerer tube length with headset spacers. You can do that with threaded but it's not ideal.

Pull the stem off.
Or show us a photo? Have you only got the frame?
All the Spesh Hardrocks I've seen have been nice MTBs, they're 29ers now I see... What year is yours from?

KIMG0063.jpg
KIMG0064.jpg
KIMG0065.jpg

is there a way i should remove this so i dont, idk, loose balls from the bearing or something? or can you tell from this? i just dont want any more headaches than the HT engine.

it appears to just be three allen screws. two on the right side horizontally, and one decending vertically down the, umm stem i guess.

Mmhm. It's an aheadset (threadless). Likely to be sealed bearings so you cant lose the balls. Even if unsealed they'd be caged.
Remove top bolt first and measure with a ruler, pop it back on again until you get your new MTB fork. It goes on first when you fit the new fork, sets the tension and makes sure it's all securely in place before the pinch bolts do the real work. Always test carefully using front brake and rocking the bike, checking for any play before riding, otherwise it will damage the bearing very quickly.
So what's wrong with the fork you have on there now?

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back