Good god I am sick of this carb.

Oddzball

Local time
11:31 AM
Man I have spent no less than 2 weeks now trying to get this stupid carb to work.

Ive done a lot of work with cars etc, but this is incredibly frustrating.

I have tried every setting on the needle, and its like the **** thing cant make up its mind. One day it runs rich, the next day its to lean.

Make one adjustment and WOT it runs great but low end suffers horribly

Adjust the other way and low end is great but WOT loses its top end.

sometimes its running so **** rich at LOW end that the only way to lean it out is completely removing the air filter to get some **** air in the thing.:mad: even though the clip is at the very TOP which is SUPPOSE to be as lean as it gets.

Oh but wait dont do that! Then its TOO lean at WOT.

AUUUUUGGGGGG!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

What's the weather like where you're at? There's a few things you can do - rejet to give you a finer tune with the carb needle, and you can also try a hotter or colder sparkplug.

I changed the plug for a b6hs plug.

Is that cooler than the stock plug?

I live in the high desert so it goes from really hot to cold.

I got so angry at this stupid carb not having an air/fuel adjustment besides the needle i literally went and dug up a bunch of weed whackers and old 2 stroke lawn mowers, but nothing would fit. I almost beat it in a fit of rage to be honest.

It should be that **** hard to adjust something so simple.

I've done holly, edelbrock, carter competition,

but a **** chinese 2 stroke carb will be the death of me.

I believe the stock is rated 7, so I'm pretty sure you went a bit hotter.

I'm in a high desert too - I actually rejetted to a 74 to take care of it 4 stroking and bogging out at WOT, and now I'm at clip setting 2 from the lean side and it's running great all across the entire RPM range.

It sucks there's not a quick adjust air/fuel mix modification that would be simple on these NT carbs. You can always just get a Dellorto carb and enjoy life. :D

Dellorto carb isnt the same size as the intake tube though is it? isnt it like 19mm while the stock is 18mm? Or am i incorrect in that assumption? And does the throttle hook up the same?

I had to put solder on the lower 11mm of the needle to get the balance right. But I assumed its because I'm at high altitude. Maybe not. Try it on yours. It will allow you to go richer on the main and still be lean enough at low throttle. I fattened the lowest part of the needle to 1.65mm
Just put the solder on too thick while heating it with candle flame and after it cools use a file to narrow it and take off unwanted peaks.
Actually I bought a Dellorto 12mm after I fixed the stock one and gained 1.5mph, better idling, smoother running, better throttle response, etc.

the jet needle has no effect at w.o.t. so no matter where you set the clip the fuel being delivered at w.o.t. will always be the same.
the clip on the jet needle only has an effect from idle - about 3/4 throttle. after that, the needle is out of the equation.

beleive it or not, the weather can play havoc on one of these carbs. one day it will run great because it's 70 degrees with 0 humidity, and the next day it will run horrible because it's 90 degrees with 80% humidity.

my plugs have always been black, hence why i am trying to run leaner. Closest i ever got to a proper plug color was a dark dark chocolate brown. Almost black.

The weather really is playing **** with it I am sure. Having to change jets/adjust every time the weather changes is surely frustrating.

You would think the **** thing just would work. My $50 weed whacker performs great at all weather conditions.

*Shrugs*

Back