Good lord what have I done ;) Fito Modena GT Build

Hey all my name is Matthew and I'm a motor-aholic. I think I screwed up big time today and decided in all my brilliance to build a motorized bike project. I'm not sure if I made a terrible decision or not but here is the bike I bought for my project. I'm a novice with mechanicals though I did use to work on bikes quite a bit in my mountain bike days and frankly I have a brown thumb when it comes to motors (just ask my non-running Vespa). So my project bike is the the Fito Modena GT Alloy 7 speed. I just liked the combination of features, front and rear disk brakes, build quality, custom fenders, forks, etc.. I would like to pair it with a black 2 stroke 66cc motor. I'm wondering what things I need to prepare for in doing this conversion. Is there a way I can spend a little more for the kit to dramatically increase reliability & useability? How does the shifting work with a motorized bike and how can I enable the engine to use the different gears? BTW I'm 6' 250# and will be using this bike in a somewhat hilly area. Any feedback you can provide or point me to is greatly appreciated. Also where do you recommend I pick up a black motor I know many of the places seem to be out of stock on the good stuff. Anyone know if this frame can be used to store fuel? Any modifications I'm going to need to make? Thanks again!!!

Here are the bike specs http://www.ebay.com/itm/130967664214?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

$T2eC16F,!)sE9swm(sR6BR-vrfr1PQ~~60_57.jpg

Here is my opinion. A lot of those cheap Huffy builds are daily drivers, not just hobby projects (and I'm not defending cheap bikes or criticizing you for not trusting them). The Modena is obviously not a department store bike. Other than the possible questionability of the alloy frame, you've obviously chosen a well-built machine, with front and rear discs and 7 speeds. With a shift kit, that thing would climb walls, whether 2 stroke or 4 stroke. So why not build something you'll want to use? You've obviously chosen a bike that was designed for heavy use. Even if you don't add a shift kit, I'd still build something reasonably functional, not just a project to give yourself something to do. Let me give you some perspective. My first two bikes were department store bikes, chosen specifically for their low cost. They were 2 stroke bikes. The first bike did ok, even handled a rough winter and a 50 mile move, but I was working on it a lot and fixing or replacing little things constantly. The second bike I was ALWAYS fixing up, and replacing things constantly, and I worked on it more than I drove it. Between these two bikes, I probably spent 3 or 4 grand altogether easy, and the 2nd bike went through 3 engines in 2 years. My current bike has a 98cc 4 stroke (its not built from a kit, but thats a different discussion). I built this bike back in March, and have only missed work one time due to an improperly installed petcock (my fault) causing a fuel flow issue. And how much have I got in this bike? $850. The other two bikes started out cheaper than that, but ended up being more expensive in the long run. I'm not saying you should definitely choose 4 stroke over 2 stroke (though if reliability is what your after, having a 4 stroke greatly improves your chances), and I'm not telling you to spend a ton of money building something fully custom. I'm just saying that if you do your research and find out what works best and build with that knowledge, you'll be much prouder of yourself and you'll have something functional and reliable when you're done.

I'm kinda in the same boat. I'm a noob and am about to start my first brand new build. I've been searching the site a bunch and have been riding and tweaking a second hand Mab. I feel I know enough to start a brand new build now and I've decided to do the cheap 66cc, mostly because I want to tinker with the motor and I feel building the HT motor is a rite of passage I must embark on before I enjoy the "luxury" of a quality 4-stroke.
I decided to get the motor from:
Enginesonlineshop.com

To each their own, but I've said it before, you're better off finding a good used bike from the 80's bike heyday (better construction/metals) than buying most anything new (until you get into big $$$ range).As far as I can tell these frame mounts are for short rides, not long hauls, I'm into doing 80 milers on a regular basis which is no problem with a good bike and the GEBE.Staton is a close second, but way too heavy.98cc's on a bike sounds like someone needs a motorcycle.

You can't build a motorcycle piece by piece with your own two hands unless you've got access to a very good shop and great fab skills, which I do not. You also can not buy even a decent used motorcycle for what I paid to build this bike. The engine was offered to me used for $50, so I took it. I did build this bike as much like a motorcycle as I was able to without having to fabricate anything. I do not want, nor will I ever own, a factory built bike. If I haven't built it, I wont ride it, pedal bikes being the obvious exception, which I dont do a whole lot of that either. You can pay me to drive your motorcycle.......to the scrap yard. Motor-assisted bicycles are a lot more versatile than factory built bikes. I can ride in the shoulder, motorcycles cant. I can start my bike in the dead of winter, and motorcycles cant unless they have a magneto or you keep them hooked up to a battery tender. Bottom line, keeping a factory built bike on the road year-round in harsh Penssylvania winters is way too much work just to have to pay registration and insurance and have a driver's license. I'm perfectly happy with my choice of bike and engine, and this is as close to a "real" motorcycle as I'll ever go. And btw, I geared my bike to redline at 32mph, so its not like I'm some kind of speed demon. I wanted to go 30 mph with my ht bikes and just never quite got there, now I cruise easily and reliably between 25 and 30, and that's all I ever wanted. To me, my bike is a motorcycle, and its way better than some factory built hunk of junk.

I meant an 80's pedal bike to start with, and commenting that 98cc seems excessive.My GEBE with a 40cc Tanaka weighing in at roughly 15 extra LBS can match your speeds, and I can do an 80 miler on roughly 1/2 gal petrol.To each their own, just seems excessive.

Like I said, I got the engine for $50. I also weigh 300 lbs. I dont know what kind of power those tanaka's make, but the ht engine barely ever made enough power to pull me around. My last bike struggled above 25 mph and wouldn't even climb moderate hills with a 66cc. I understand that in some people's opinion it might be excessive, but for someone my size I needed the extra power just to get around at a decent speed. And please lets not get into discussing my weight. I'm 6 ft 2 and built like a linebacker, what can I say?

That's what MAB's are all about, mother of invention stuff.With that body-frame I'd be looking into a delta recumbent trike with a Staton gearbox and about 40 to 50 cc 2 stroke, but that's big $$.Have fun and check that headset often.

I just have no interest in recumbents or trikes. I dont really care for mountain bike frames either. I like cruisers mostly. They just have a certain look that I prefer. And I'm quite happy with the 98cc engine. I've got it geared right in its powerband, and it performs perfectly for me. I doubt I'll ever use a 2 stroke engine again. Tuning is a pain in the rear. The stock carb on my engine isn't even tuneable, and the engine runs perfectly the way it is. I am picking up a spare engine pretty soon, and I might order a Honda gx carb for that engine as they are tuneable. But like I said, this engine is running great with the stock carb. I've done a few plug chops, plug is chocolate brown every time. The spare engine is only to replace this engine when it dies, but I figure it wont hurt to have a better carb. Only reason I haven't replaced the carb on this engine is cause I'd have to move the engine to get the carb off, and that's a real pita.

I just have no interest in recumbents or trikes. I dont really care for mountain bike frames either. I like cruisers mostly. They just have a certain look that I prefer. And I'm quite happy with the 98cc engine. I've got it geared right in its powerband, and it performs perfectly for me. I doubt I'll ever use a 2 stroke engine again. Tuning is a pain in the rear. The stock carb on my engine isn't even tuneable, and the engine runs perfectly the way it is. I am picking up a spare engine pretty soon, and I might order a Honda gx carb for that engine as they are tuneable. But like I said, this engine is running great with the stock carb. I've done a few plug chops, plug is chocolate brown every time. The spare engine is only to replace this engine when it dies, but I figure it wont hurt to have a better carb. Only reason I haven't replaced the carb on this engine is cause I'd have to move the engine to get the carb off, and that's a real pita.
Cheap engines give poor results, like hard to tune, low HP for their CC's.Cruisers are cool looking, but not for long hauls or rough tracks.MTB is the best overall (if you only have one bike).You're pushing the weigh limits of the bike, that's before putting an engine on it.Sun makes a couple bikes for the rotund person.My LWB recumbent "Lumpy" has a 300lb capacity, and is cooler than any cruiser you'll find.Form and function that's where I'm at,... when's the last time you took a trailer-less, fully loaded (camp gear/food/repair kit) hundred mile ride, with no breaks?

I don't do long hauls. I built my bike for commuting, not touring. Work is only 3 miles from my house. I have a 13" wide Worksman seat to make it a little more comfortable, and its fine for short rides, and even somewhat longer ones. Comparing bicycles to motorcycles, in neither genre are cruisers designed for any type of touring. Though I did do a few tours on my first bike (100 mile round trips and a 50 mile drive one way with all the belongings I could carry). My bike is as comfortable as it can be for being a cruiser. As for weight limits, its an American made Schwinn cantilever frame with very thick-walled tubing. I doubt that I'm stressing the frame at all. And the best part? I got this frame for $25. I'm happy with my bike the way it is, and if I had to build it all over again, I'd build it exactly the same, down to every last detail.

Back