Good price- Want a Honda GXH50 for your 4 stroke kit?

xkwox,
he bought the engine seperately from the kit
if you had read the entire thread, you would have known this

azkronic,
I plan to buy the kit and the motor separate like him
if you had read my posts, you would have known this

xkwox,
please post an intro...it's forum policy

dude, don't start arguing your first day
it doesn't make a good 1st impression

xkwox,
please post an intro...it's forum policy

dude, don't start arguing your first day
it doesn't make a good 1st impression
I am not, you started it. Like my post shows, I asked
"If I buy the motor and the kit, will I have everything I need?"

I want to buy the same motor as him, and if the kit he bought is compatable, The kit as well.

I PMed him for help, Sorry If you took my post as hostile, it was not my intention

Depends on what you mean by "everything I need". All the major parts are there- in the kit- the mounting plate, sprocket, chain, gearbox, cables, controls, tank, muffler, gaskets, chain tensioner. Then you have the engine.

It would be advisable to go down to the hardware store and buy good quality bolts for mounting the engine, plate, gearbox and sprocket. The supplied hardware seems mighty soft. You will need to figure out what to do with the throttle control. You can mount it to the stock lever on the engine, but then it will not return when you let go and will work through the governor which I did not prefer. A search will reveal what I did with this issue.

The idea that installing this is a one weekend matter is nuts if you care about your work. Can it be done? Yes- and no doubt, I would be faster the second time- but there is much finessing that must be done to make everything line up well...if you care about that.

Last edited by a moderator:
The governor is great for it's intended purpose but since were not using the engine for it's intended purpose a governor is only a dangerous liability.
I've ordered by GXH50 engine and i'm waiting for it to be delivered but i can't find anywhere on the internet about disconnecting the governor.
HoughMade did it so that gives me confidence about doing it myself...if not i'll take the engine to a good Honda dealer i know and have it done for $30.
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?p=95230#post95230

Depends on what you mean by "everything I need". All the major parts are there- in the kit- the mounting plate, sprocket, chain, gearbox, cables, controls, tank, muffler, gaskets, chain tensioner. Then you have the engine.

It would be advisable to go down to the hardware store and buy good quality bolts for mounting the engine, plate, gearbox and sprocket. The supplied hardware seems mighty soft. You will need to figure out what to do with the throttle control. You can mount it to the stock lever on the engine, but then it will not return when you let go and will work through the governor which I did not prefer. A search will reveal what I did with this issue.

The idea that installing this is a one weekend matter is nuts if you care about your work. Can it be done? Yes- and no doubt, I would be faster the second time- but there is much finessing that must be done to make everything line up well...if you care about that.

thank you!

I was also going to buy this
48T Freewheel Axle Kit - $39.99
I would rather have the touqe on the axle then on the spokes, though I am unsure to how the sproket stays on the axle, and if my freewheel would fit on the other side.

Another thing I am having issues with is finding a rack for this, I assume I would have to make one, but have seen pictures on that site, but no options to buy one

I am planning on buying the same thing, also with the drum brake. However, I will be either seeing if a 56 tooth is available or machine mine to work. I run about 40 mph with the 56 tooth and that's all I need.

thank you!

I was also going to buy this
48T Freewheel Axle Kit - $39.99
I would rather have the touqe on the axle then on the spokes, though I am unsure to how the sproket stays on the axle, and if my freewheel would fit on the other side.

Another thing I am having issues with is finding a rack for this, I assume I would have to make one, but have seen pictures on that site, but no options to buy one

xkwox,
The kit that Hough bought and used was the frame mount kit. The engine mounts to an adjustable mounting plate that bolts into the main v section of most bicycle frames. GRUBEE does make a rackmount I believe it can be purchased from http://www.bicycle-engines.com You need to be aware that if what you are looking for is a rack mount, that the Honda GXH50 will be mounted to it with the exhaust hitting you in the back when you sit on the bike. You will probably need to make a custom exaust system to remedy this. There are several threads here that show how members have done this with various motors. Do some searches to find these solutions.

I may be wrong about being able to purchase the rack from bicycle-engines.com I would have sworn that they were offering this option but it no longer seems to be listed for purchase. Maybe they sold out. You might want to give them a call to find out the status of this rack. In the past bicycle-engines.com have not been good with responding to e-mails so a call to them would be the way to get the information about the rack. The person there with the answers is Josh.

As to the two items from Stanton Inc. You don't need either of them if you purchase the 4-stroke mounting kit from bicycle-engines.com

good luck with your project,

scully

Last edited:
xkwox,
The kit that Hough bought and used was the frame mount kit. The engine mounts to an adjustable mounting plate that bolts into the main v section of most bicycle frames. GRUBEE does make a rackmount I believe it can be purchased from http://www.bicycle-engines.com You need to be aware that if what you are looking for is a rack mount, that the Honda GXH50 will be mounted to it with the exhaust hitting you in the back when you sit on the bike. You will probably need to make a custom exaust system to remedy this. There are several threads here that show how members have done this with various motors. Do some searches to find these solutions.

I may be wrong about being able to purchase the rack from bicycle-engines.com I would have sworn that they were offering this option but it no longer seems to be listed for purchase. Maybe they sold out. You might want to give them a call to find out the status of this rack. In the past bicycle-engines.com have not been good with responding to e-mails so a call to them would be the way to get the information about the rack. The person there with the answers is Josh.

As to the two items from Stanton Inc. You don't need either of them if you purchase the 4-stroke mounting kit from bicycle-engines.com

good luck with your project,

scully
thank you for your help

Back