Wheels Good tips for reinforcing/supporting the wheel *Everyone should do this*

Discussion in 'Bicycle Repair' started by Dr. Doom, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Dr. Doom

Dr. Doom Member

Okay so I know there is common sense used with making ur own ride. And idk about you but when I was new to this I thought I had common sense, and I did, but didn't know all of the useful little tips that can save my back as a cheat insurance in the long run. Starting with the bicycle's wheels. Very important. What's a good cluster of tips for the noobs to know before breaking in their engine?

For instance zip tie all of the spokes where they all cross each other. I fell naked on my bike when the spokes haven't been reinforced with this idea. With my two example pics I have a good wheel and a bad wheel. IMG_9029[1].jpg

And how about those GeBe drive rings. They look like they can give the best sense of support a wheel can get anywhere. Let alone they look cool. Instead of drive ring is there just a ring out there? That's all I know though. Can anyone give me some feedback about how useful these things really are? And where/how to order them. billbike3.jpg

But besides all of this with this being a forum for all of the wise skilled motored bikest people out there I doubt I covered half of these tips that deal with preparing the wheels. Post some feed back
    Thanks, Stevo
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015

2. sherryc8641

sherryc8641 Guest

Hey smarty, how does this have anything to do with a 2 stoke engine?
  3. Dr. Doom

Dr. Doom Member

lol I uhh have a 2 stroke engine... Its not just that but with peddling the engine and just torque on the wheel with that type of style of engine it puts a lot of stress on the wheel. It'll give you a sense of "beware of the warping rim or broken spokes". It can really mess you up unless u prepare it/condition it to be tough.
  4. AussieSteve

AussieSteve Active Member

No need to be rude. A polite suggestion would have done.
  5. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

weather 2 or 4 stroke

weather 2 or 4 stroke
    I think that HP is basically HP
    stress should be about the same

6. andynogo

andynogo New Member

Yup well with my 2 stroke HT motor setup I zip tie my spokes together- an old enduro motorbiking trick.

Don't know if it helps but it's a good tip to send to the 2 stroke riders out there....(although I'm sure the 4 strokers read here as well...:goofy:)
  7. AussieSteve

AussieSteve Active Member

From what I've heard, cable ties help cut down on the friction between the spokes, reducing wear and the chance of the spokes breaking, as well as general mechanical reinforcement. Sounded convincing to me - I've done it.
    ... Steve
  8. azbill

azbill Active Member

I have zip-tied my spokes and it is a lot 'stiffer' than before I did it (approx 8-9000 miles ago)
    'bama gave this advice to many when this site was first starting :)
  9. craisin

craisin Member

The first motorcyle I bought was a TS 250 that had the front wheel spokes tied with wire in that fashion.
    I had been toying with the idea of glueing them together as Zip ties or wire would knock my derailer around on the back onyway
    Good tip makes:jester: me feel normal
  10. Turtle Tedd

Turtle Tedd Member

Instead of zipties , I used some small diameter brass wire ..two wraps around, pull, twist, cut, file sharp edge...stronger and looks a little better..imo
  11. machiasmort

machiasmort Active Member

I've also heard of guy's soldering them after the wire!
  12. craisin

craisin Member

well seems to me if you were to balance the wheel with whatever you intend to use for the purpose of adding strength to the wheel.

After all an out of balance wheel could generate destuctive forces:tt1:
  13. I would stick with plastic ties because you might have to adjust your spokes when your wheel gets warped.
  14. Turtle Tedd

Turtle Tedd Member

Wire em up..no solder...just clip them off if you have to
  15. happycheapskate

happycheapskate Active Member

Build good enough wheels and you don't need zip ties or anything.

If you want a really stiff wheel go with thicker spokes or do a twist spoke pattern. I built those before and they WERE stiffer than a standard wheel. Truing was a little more time consuming though since I had to adjust 2 spoke nipples several holes apart to correct any imbalance or defection. They were durable and nice looking though. BMX bikers have done that for years. Eventually a spoke may fail at the elbow or twist, but any wheel will eventually fail spokes.
  16. craisin

craisin Member

if your a natural rough guy it good insurance no matter how tough you can make wheels.
    I am hoping to find a mag wheel myself
  17. retromike3

retromike3 Member

zip tie vs. wrap and soldering

Back in the day we would wrap and solder the spokes on our track bikes. The reason we did was so a broken spoke would not get caught in the chain. They supposedly helped make the wheel stronger but I really could not tell if that was the case. I still have and ride a set of wheels on my track bike that have wrapped and soldered spokes. I know the hubs I built them up with are old, pre-NOAVO RECORD Campy. I haven't had to true them in years. I did ride them on the road but now they just sit and spin on my rollers.

I am not sure that zip ties would have the same effect but who knows? I do know that wrapped and soldered looks cool.

Mike Frye-the bike guy
  18. BeauBoy

BeauBoy Member

Excellent i would'nt have even thought of doing this, I really have to prep my bike for the motor.
    Zip ties it is.
  19. loquin

loquin Active Member

Use the black zip ties - The UV in sunlight will kill the white ones a lot faster than black ones.
  20. Stan4d

Stan4d Banned

Good tip, also replace them periodically. They are cheap as far as cost, and it wouldn't hurt to keep fresh ones on.