Tires GOOD TIRE FOR my 26" wheel ???

Discussion in 'Bicycle Repair' started by badmoon, Jul 13, 2008.

1. badmoon

badmoon Member

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008

2. ihatemybike

ihatemybike Member

No, those tires are made to fit skinny road rims which have a larger diameter than 26" cruiser/mtb rims. Plus being 21mm wide (less than an inch), I would think they would be pretty horrible on a MB.

For the added stress that an MB puts on tires I'd go with a tire designed for MTB freestyle (aka urban freeride). I listed a bunch of tires in this post.

3. badmoon

badmoon Member

4. ihatemybike

ihatemybike Member

You don't need to have high pressure to go fast. The reason you see the high psi on road bound tires is mostly to prevent pinch flats on those skinny wheels. True is does reduce rolling resistance on fatter, but not really by much. For most conditions 60 psi should be good whether human or engine power.

The only reason I take my fat tires higher (80 front/90 rear) is because I fly 8' in the air and do tricks where I land with all my weight (215 lbs) on one wheel on what is basically a 2.5" diameter pipe.

Using engine power you really should be worrying about flat prevention and contact patch size for traction. Of the two tires you posted I'd go with the 1.95.

5. badmoon

badmoon Member

so for you the Tufo C XC 1 26 x 1.95 is the better to choose.?

6. ihatemybike

ihatemybike Member

Definitely