"Good Vibrations" build

move the whole coaster-arm assembly over...interesting.

i have a few questions but i'll wait til we see what you come up with :)

For what it's worth, I wound up countersinking the bolt holes and using flush-mount allen head (socket head) fasteners to fit the rear sprocket on my Shimano single-speed coaster brake hub.

Countersunk bolts... hummmm, I'll have to check into that. But, my brake arm still wouldn't fit into the hole on the sprocket. A small problem as I own a grinder and know how to use it.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the input. I won't be doing much to the bike until I get the mount made.

Had some time today so stripped the bike down to the frame... Can't find my chain tool (or my small punch either) so will have to drop by the bike shop to have it popped apart.

Need to spend some time on Sunday wiping the grease off the races, and cleaning up the frame. I can't believe how much rust I am finding... Not a major problem yet (no structural damage) but I thought I had taken care of it with the last paint job. I might have to break down and spent the extra money for automotive primer / paint...

Motor in place and I'm on my way to the welder!

motor-in-place.jpg

It is going to be a couple of days before I get the frame back....

While we were discussing how to set up the mount the welder noticed how low the final gear casing was in the area of the top-rear screw. We put the chain on and found that it didn't have enough clearance. The solution we came up with was to loosen the mount and tip the engine up in the rear.

I thought he could just grind the mount to the correct angle, but he said that would put a strain on the mounting bolts. His solution is to weld a couple of small wedges cut out of pipe to the frame. Hard to describe, but it seems like it will work.

i was looking and wondering about chain run. it sounds like you have a great building buddy in that welder...modfiying frame details instead of the block is a far smarter way to go. maybe weld matching wedges to the backside also, would need longer mounting studs, but all would be properly aligned that way and last a long time :)

Sockmonkey

Motor in place...!
You and I are doing our cruiser builds at about the same time... I've just completed the custom mount process, except to say that I haven't corrected a very small misalignment at the down tube curvature... it is clamped sercurely at that point, however, and the rear mount is above reproach. (Hahaha... we'll see about that, now, won't we?)

Don't mean to hijack your build thread, sir; just wanted to comment on the similar nature and similar time frame.

Congrats, and carry on!

:)~

Don't mean to hijack your build thread, sir; just wanted to comment on the similar nature and similar time frame.
:)~

No problem Castor (I couldn't think of any other Bean Oil lol)

I would love to hear how your build is going.

Back