Goodyear Blue Streaks - white w/blue stripe

Discussion in 'Antique Motorized Bicycles' started by DougC, Nov 11, 2010.

1. DougC

DougC Guest

Two quick notes:
    1) I know my old tires web page is gone, I took it down, that's not important right now
    2) I am still doing the tire-making project, but it is taking a while (about a year so far... :whistling: )

Anyway, for your viewing pleasure......

I was searching for vintage photos of Goodyear Blue Streak bicycle tires (the checkerboard ones, during the years 1915-1920) to try to figure out if any part of them really was blue.... at least during that time.... and I haven't figured that out yet. But I did run across a couple photos of another version of the "Blue Streaks" that I had not ever seen before-

This one shows a corrugated style tire-

This is another shot, but the tire is worn and looks like a slick-

These seem to be the only two examples of photos of this particular tire style online.

Previous to about 1935, tires for land vehicles were frequently colored to promote brand identification. Figuring out how they were colored can be difficult, if they pre-date colored advertisements... -And even if you do find a modern photograph of a color ad or signage, you can't be certain that the colors had not shifted over the last 80-90 years.

Sometimes woodblock print ads would explain the color scheme, and sometimes there are technical descriptions saying what the rubber in the tread or sidewalls contained, which can provide a clue. Many times you simply don't know.