Discussion in 'General Questions' started by ironwarlock, Jul 3, 2007.

1. ironwarlock

ironwarlock Guest

Got a ticket on the way to work with the bike today. I tried to tell the the uniformed police officer that it was a MOPED not a MINI BIKE or MOTORCYCLE but he insisted it was not a MOPED. So when I got to work I called the city prosecutor and told him what I was riding. I told him I would bring the bike down for him to see. but he said if it has pedals its a MOPED. He said just bring down the ticket and he will dismiss it, He also wrote on a copy of the ticket (for me to keep in the wallet) that it was a moped just so the other officers would know if they happen to pull me over. ( Hell I put about 30 miles on that bike today. :grin: ).

2. Glad to know you didn't let em' push you around, but you also didn't flip your lid.

Well played ironwarlock. :)
  3. azbill

azbill Active Member

actually I believe that a moped has one chain and comes from factory like that
    what we ride are motor assisted bicycles...2 chains and engine came after (not stock/factory)
    there are some federal regs here somewhere that explain better
  4. ironwarlock

ironwarlock Guest

Nebraska DOT says motor assist is classed as a moped. I can live with that. :smile:
  5. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

WELL PLAYED, and the followup is the key !!

I nominate IronWarlock as Cornhusker of the Year !!

Take what you can, then clear it up with the pencil pushers later, by pleading NOT GUILTY.
  6. azvinnie

azvinnie Guest

glad to hear nothing became of the whole ordeal, keep that letter in your wallet, for next time they pull you over, cause im sure theres not another bike :shock: like yours around for miles. be kewl ironwarlock, and keep on riding 8)
  7. thatsdax

thatsdax Guest

That happens....

I get stopped every time I ride my chopper. I have never been stopped on my regular bikes. I have been by over 400 cops on my other bikes. But every time I ride my Chopper, I get stopped. Choppers do not look like bicycles is the reason. Axiomatic... If you build and ride something other than a bicycle looking bike, you will get stopped is the Axiom.
  8. Herrmanator8

Herrmanator8 Guest

how fast were you goin' when you got pulled over???

nice bike :grin:

9. ironwarlock

ironwarlock Guest

I was just Put,n along minding my own business.
  10. That bike is sweet! I love where that engine's at and that belt drive.
  11. davidsis

davidsis Guest

Ya, what custom said. Glad to see you did not let them push you around and did not flip your lid. That is a cool bike too.
  12. Herrmanator8

Herrmanator8 Guest

i was just wonderin, because when i ride i cruise around 35 to 45 mph. i doubt thats legal, but whatever :grin:

13. iRide Customs

iRide Customs Member

Too bad the cops gotta be jerks.

That Spoiler turned out great! I saw one in a Schwinn bike shop when I was taking Augie home yesterday and they had a $629 price tag on it!?!?!
  14. lotsa_mpg

lotsa_mpg Guest

I'm glad you were able to get the ticket written off, ironwarlock. I've been riding my bike all over around here for about a year now and I've often wondered whether it's legal...or if the cops just sorta overlook me due to what I consider my safe riding practices (I always wear a helmet, use hand signals and don't clown around). Tonight, I had an interesting encounter with our local police only a few minutes ago. I had left the front door wide open at my shop because I was running in and out for parts to repair my headlight and test riding the bike in the backyard. When I rode into the front yard, I found a cruiser parked at my door. They had noticed my front shop door open after dark and thought they should check it out in case someone had broken in. I thanked them kindly for stopping by.....I'm really glad that they notice things like that. They seemed very intrigued by the bike and asked me what kind of fuel mileage I get with it. I figured now was the time to ask them about the legality of it. I first told them that as far as I've researched it, the bike is perfectly legal without any sort of license plates. They mentioned that since they've noticed me riding it around town quite alot, they had checked into it themselves and discovered it is legal here in Manitoba. That came as quite a relief to me because in all honesty, I hadn't looked into it a whole lot myself. Now, I can feel a bit more relaxed when I meet them on the street.

15. leinad333

leinad333 Guest

I live in Birmingham AL and I got stopped on a moped, tried to explain to the cops, but got the ticket anyway. I ended up having to go to court four times and on the last time I kept telling them that a moped under 50cc was not a motor cycle. They went away to make some calls and look things up. When they came out they said they would drop the on license ticket if I would pay the one for no tag. I told them that I would pay both or nothing, because it was either a motor cycle or it wasn't. They went away again and finnally came out and dropped it. I tried to ask if I could have something to carry to keep from waist everyones time again, and I was told to get out. I still can't believe the a court could not even get access to someone who knows the law. Well maybe in Birmingham I can.

Dose anyone know a link to something that can be printed out for us to carry around with us to help avid this?
  16. ironwarlock

ironwarlock Guest

In State of Alabama, mopeds are classed as motorcycles, thus motorcycle license is needed to operate one. Standard operator's license is NOT sufficient. (looks like Alabama moped laws SUCK?) BUMMER
  17. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

About midway down in this topic, thatsdax has a link to Federal Regulations that trump state/city UNLESS some specific laws are inacted, and we only think there are two to three cities/towns that are really bad as far as rules.

It could be printed and laminated. 8)
  18. leinad333

leinad333 Guest

No suprise.

A lot of things in alabama suck, but if they are to dumb to even know where to find a law I guess I like the government being stupid.
  19. sounds like cops like to mess with us. I think what those COPS were thinking though is "that thing is way too cool looking to be a moped"!!!

seriously, did you enter that sucker into the BOTM?
  20. ironwarlock

ironwarlock Guest

it is not ready for BOTM. this is a finished picture of the bike with gas tank, brooks seat and lights done in photoshop. when i get it like that then maybe i got a chance at botm.