got to love Ca DMV regarding MBs

Discussion in 'Laws, Legislation & Emissions' started by Mountainman, May 27, 2009.

1. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

don't get me wrong -- maybe Ca DMV has not informed all employees very well regarding MBs
    but -- all in all our state is MB friendly -- we do get to ride those THINGS ((( LEGALLY )))

so I went to DMV today
    took the test for Class C and M-2

passed -- getting paper work from the DMV Lady
    she said that I will need to come back in and take driving test on my motor cycle
    I told her that I do not have a motor cycle
    I have a motorized bicycle
    she went and talked to three other DMV employees
    came back and told me that I did not need a M-2 license for my MB
    only THING needed is a Class C

I pretty much know that they were all wrong -- but you know what

Iam just going to ride the heck out of that THING !!!

Last edited: May 27, 2009

2. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

Heh, yeah then they'll say something like 'ignorance of the law is no excuse'.
    If that only applied to them, lol.

3. s_beaudry

s_beaudry Member

Hey Mountainman....

Come down from the mountain and move out here to South Carolina!

There are NO LAWS at all for MB's and there are NO PLANS to enact any either!

Come out here to SC and ride that thing!

4. Mountainman

Ca Laws Interrupted -- different by many

thank you for the invitation s_beaudry
    my wife and I love it out your way
    we try to get out there -- when ever we can

yes -- ignorance of the law being no excuse
    so true if we happen to find ourselfs in a court room
    as shared in another thread
    for one year I have been riding my motorized bicycle in Calif with no drivers license
    but -- I have carried with me two e-mails from law enforcement stating

that I can ride my motor bike WITHOUT A DRIVERS LICENSE
    is this correct -- I don't think so -- but who knows ??

so what if I would have received a ticket for driving without a license this last year ??

what would of happened in court when I pulled out the
    TWO STATMENTS FROM THE POOOLICE
    stating that I was good to go with no license on my MB ???

as we ride that THING

5. blime81

blime81 New Member

I think that much of CA LE turns a blind eye to our rides. Lots of folks with no plates and surely no M2.

Sounds a bit like my issue hence my asking for it in writing. You are smart to keep those emails in your pocket when you ride.

Really I wish CA was like AZ or SC where there was nothing too it but the state needs your money for that THING :)

6. Mountainman

don't think you will blime81 -- but if you do

don't think you will blime81 -- but if -- you do
    every need a copy of my said permission e-mails from the pooolice
    just get in contact through PM
    I am more than willing to share one on one
    it would not be polite to post private e-mails on web site

ride that THING

7. seanhan

seanhan Member

It's just amazing how when something just doesen't fit exactly into a Legal catagory how people freak out and dont know what to do. It's also funny the we spend all this time and money creating regulations and requirements and codes, and a simple little thing like a M/B can wreak havoc with the system...
    Amazing !!!! I think about it sometimes while i ride that thing !!!!

8. blime81

blime81 New Member

Thank you Mountainman that is very considerate of you. I've just sent off again so hopefully my form will wind up on someone's desk who is willing to send me a plate.

I just want peace of mind as I ride that THING!

9. Mountainman

DMV -- DID DO THE RIGHT thing

but at least Ca DMV did do the right THING for us MB ers
    they said that THINGS a bicycle
    you need nothing special to ride that THING
    I could have mentioned the license plate recommended by Ca

why wreck their day -- I just want to play

on my MB thing

10. gowjobs

gowjobs New Member

We (illegal soapbox racers) currently enjoy a similar "limbo" status with our gravity cars. At this time, the So Cal CHP officers which we've run into have all been willing to treat us like bicycles, once they realize that we're not running engines.

While I'm tempted to motorize one of my old coaster-brake racers, it seems all the engines I have in inventory are at LEAST 3-1/2 hp. :) I really don't know if I could squeeze my 16 HP Briggs into a cantilever frame or not...

11. Just do it

You need help? If you don't cause a problem then you won't attract one. The laws here are reasonable for MBs. Really no GRAVITY?? I want to see this.

12. Mountainman

after riding close to a year

after riding close to a year now in Calif
    this sure does seem to be the case
    never stopped yet
    a few have looked at my Calif motorized license plate and drove by

it's just a bicycle with a little motor !!!!

any state or country that is down on these (((little))) THINGS = clueless

as seen from up top the mountain

13. angrysamoan

angrysamoan New Member

Hear we go again! Everyone jilted of what the law is........ 25mph and 48cc or less. I've now been questioned by Police three times in last {3} months. First, They're not sure the slightest bit, second, If you send in form to DMV {18.00 bucks one time fee} you get plate and actual registration printout, and third, JUST RIDE THE THING! It's a bicycle with a motor- don't trip!

14. Mountainman

yes here we go again

in Calif it's as stated on the paper work for license plate
    under 30 miles per hour
    no mention of cc's ??
    under 2 hp

nobody's tripping
    just trying to get the correct information out there

as we ride the heck out of those THINGS

15. OCLandspeeder

OCLandspeeder Member

In CA, you do NOT need to have a license to ride a MB. You just need to be 16 years or older, wear a bicycle helmet, and stay on the bicycle lanes or portion of the road meant for bicycles. Do not go on bicycle paths, sidewalks, or roadways, unless to make a left turn or something. Oh and do not exceed 20 mph.

That doesn't mean you won't get hassled by the man. But if you are a smart rider, you won't do anything to attract the wrong attention to yourself.

I've been riding motorcycles since HS. Currently riding crotch rockets. Talk about a cop magnet! Chick magnet too BTW, but that's another story! Anyway, I've learned early on to not do anything to attract cop attention to my activity. When you drive a crotch rocket, you WILL speed. Everyone knows this! It's like flying an F16...you will go FAST! But knowing where and when to use the performance is the key to keeping the cops off your back.

Oh and it helps not to ride passed a bored motorcycle cop! LOL!

16. give me vtec

give me vtec Active Member

yep, well said...

17. a man on a 2 feet high motorcycle doing 60 down the road,yeah that wont draw any attention from the cops,just aswell get a monkey with a accordian and put him in a sidecar.

18. rockvoice

rockvoice Member

maybe well said but wrong.
    you do need an M2 endorsement on a valid CA DL to operate a MB in the state of California . says so in the chp guide and i have been pulled over and asked for it.

19. rockvoice

rockvoice Member

Oh and by the way you can ride with no liscense anyway because 95% of the police dont know the law on these.

20. OCLandspeeder

OCLandspeeder Member

M2 Endorsement is only if you are operating a Moped.

MB's are not mopeds. There are enough people in Socal who tried to register their MB's as mopeds but was refused. How are you suppose to get an M2 endorsement unless you have a motorcycle/scooter/moped? Surely the courts do not expect you to borrow someone elses motorcycle? Arguments such as this has the courts dropping the charges.

CA Vehicle Code is vague regarding MB. They lump them along with electric bicycles. Under that code, you are limited to where you can operate it and what speeds, and power level.

Of course, if you talk to two different courts, you will get two differing opinions. Again this is due to the vehicle code being vague. It all depends on how you argue your case.