GP460 Engine On Friction Drive

That vendor will charge me $11.85 for three clutch springs...PLUS $30.40 for UPS shipping!

I'll change the clutch assembly instead. A pocketbike clutch SHOULD bolt onto the 460 engine. Davesmotors.com sells them for $19-$33 plus $7 shipping.

5-7,

before you do that contact Chris "chevys4me" at gopednation for the straight scoop on which aftermarket clutch is most suitable.

no kidding, Chris is a master with the 460's. he may be able to help you come up with a 13:1 TS dome too. as a race engine porter and builder he has lots of parts and contacts.

steve

Detonator, I'll check out chevys4me at gopednation for heavyduty clutch and pullstart.

It seems like many gopeds with 460 engines have similar issues.:geek:

5-7,

you may already have the starter upgrade. i'm sure Zomby was aware of the need and how to fix it. i can't imagine the stocker holding up against the 15:1 configuration of that engine for long.

pull the starter cover off the flywheel shroud. if there is a metal "t" bar bolted across the flywheel you are set. if the deal on the flywheel is sheet metal looking with little plastic flippers, you still need the upgrade.

steve

Okay I'm waiting for chevy4us to respond to my PM. In the meantime I'll pull the covers and inspect pullstart and clutch.:geek:

:geek:This has been used successfully on the 460 by SP33D QU33N at gopednation.com:

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.3820/.f

Personally I'd rather install this $23.50 clutch than keep feeding it custom springs at $12/set PLUS $31 shipping.:devilish:

Last edited by a moderator:
that would have been my suggestion too, but i try not to recommend stuff that "might" work before i have experience with it.

that clutch is widely used with many powerful engine types.

sometimes it takes Chris 24 hrs. to respond, i think he is busy enough that he only logs on once a day.

you can look for his thread and video about the starter update by going on the DIY forum on gopednation, on page 2 you will find a thread tittled "POS GP460 Pull Start Fix" by chevys4me.

i have the DDM part #'s for the pieces from them that go with Chris's engagement bar if you need them.

steve

Detonator thanks for info. I'm registered at gopednation under the same name. I've also read and posted on that particular thread of chevys4me.

I'd appreciate if you posted the part numbers necessary for the pullstart update.

What engine combination, if any are you implementing ? Mits/GP ,GP/GP? or single GP ?

Mits/Mits and GP

dui, "The Dragon Lady" will remain with Mitsu (rear engine) and Bishi (front engine). Those engines work well, just need to adapt Walbro WYK-58 carbs to cure the lean condition at top end.

I'll start with a single GP460 engine with Dominator pipe on a Giant Rincon bike. This will be my backup commuter vehicle. If I can't accelerate quickly and maintain 38.6mph, then this bike will inherit another 460 up front.

Here's hoping that the 460 proves reliable enough for commuting every other day. If it stalls on me once, it'll be a 460/460 twin cruiser.

I can't afford to miss work or show up sweaty from pedalling.

There have been several times that one engine conked out on "The Dragon Lady".

I "limped" home or to work on one engine at 20-25mph.:devilish:

First things first...single engine install.

Should be quite something to experience, over 8hp!.There is safety in redundancy.(After a fashion)

Back