GPS, Garmin, Tom Tom, etc on mo-bikes

I saw this on another thread and bought it . It works as promised.
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/semsons-inc_2097_7512877
semsons-inc_2097_7512877

The velcro idea is awesome though! I thought of that, but I was afraid to locate the elecronics near the flammable fuel of course, and also afraid that the velcro might weaken in the summer and peel from the surface.

I suppose you could use velcro designed for CB radios (heavy compared to phone/gps) and that should hold well to nearly anything.

I have a garmin NUVI and it is awesome. I have not tried any other brand so can not give a decent review of what is better or worse but do really like this one. After seeing how well RusticoRay's Velcro works, I made a lil "dash board" and mounted a tach as well. Have to redo it as it is to small. Another cool part of mounting like that, when you get some where, just pop it off and put it in your pocket. We rode down some dirt roads with lots of bumps and held on perfect. Been working on making/finding a solar charger. Gives you all you need to know with a tach. Speed, distance, avg. speed and directions. Great lil investment.

This is the cheapest I have found; http://www.buy.com/prod/usb-portabl...l/q/listingid/64676582/loc/101/213453631.html

I have the Nuvi 255W and its dead on. If you are on the main screen (watching the little map move realtime-there is even a bicycle vehicle icon!-) you can touch the speed and a "dashboard" screen will come up, showing your speed in big numbers, your direction (N E S W or in between), and trip info, like a cyclocomputer would tell.

I love mine and I take it everywhere. I use it at work and on weekends.

EDIT: you have to download the Felt Bicycle icon from Garmin website, and need a $1 USB cable to go to your Nuvi.
Also, Garmin sponsors a bicycle team! You can hear a team member's voice as your Nuvi guide if you download Team Garmin's Matt White (English, sounds like Aussie accent).

I don't know if its more dependent on the model of Nuvi or the location on the earth (reception) but here in Dallas suburbs, the nuvi is very fast at updating the speed (about every second usually) and is pretty consistent. In my diesel truck, it shows the same speed at the guage. In my auto, it shows off by 5 mph all speeds over 20, but I had a transmission rebuilt this year. On my bike, it matches the walmart red speedo pretty closely. I used the stock figures that you can get from the instruction book for a 1.75 tire, and added 5mm at a time till it matched my wifes car. You can also roll out the tire diameter.

Last edited:
At 71 Mph On My Truck Speedo, My Street Pilot Shows 70 Mph. When It Shows 32 Mph On My Shifter Bike - It Feels Like 50 And I Slow Down!! Lol. Ron

Back