Grandmother hopes to find simple, inexpensive motor

binkie

Local time
1:38 AM
I'm a grandmother who loves riding my mountain bicycle. Unfortunately the old knees are giving me fits but I don't want to give up my bike, so I am thinking that adding a motor to my bicycle would be the way to go. I still want to be able to peddle the bike on occasion. I don't have a lot of money to spend and have absolutely no mechanical skills. I don't have a lot of money to spend and have absolutely no mechanical skills.

I'd love to hear from others who have added cost-effective motors to their bikes and still retain the pedals. I'd really like to keep my same bike.

A friend mentioned getting a "chicken motor." Anyone have one of these? I read about a motor that is part of the wheel but it appears that that never made it into production.

Thanks!
binkie

Grandma, you need to find a friend with skills like a mechanic or handyman.

A friction drive kit and engine will set you back maybe at least $300.

A tinkerer with skills can "McGuyver" a used weedwhacker and BMX bike peg and have you running for less than $50, labor included.

HOWEVER, ya still need a person with basic mechanical skills to fix the stuck throttle, make minor adjustments, etc.

Do you do your own maintenance on your bike? Good if you do.

If you're the type to send your bike to the bikeshop for maintenance and repairs, most don't take kindly to motorized bicycles.

A lawnmower shop might be able to help you install and maintain a motorized.

ORRRRR someone in your family MIGHT know some hotshot kid who works on anything on wheels.

He'd be your go-to guy.

FWIW, they don't call me handsome, but they do call me handy!:giggle:

Sorry I can't help you more. I live out on a rock in the middle of the Pacific.:whistle:

Thanks for your reply! At present I don't have anyone nearby, but I don't want to give up riding my bike. Somehow I'm going find something out there that will work for me.

For ladies I put Robin Subaru 35's on nice step thru comfort bikes.

Its one thing to buy and install a cheap engine, its a whole 'nother to try to crank it.

Robins usually crank on the first pull, purr quietly, and I have never met a string pull so user friendly.

Where Are You?

binkie, what city are you in?:geek:

:unsure:Perhaps a forum member lives nearby and can give a helping hand.

very nice simple no trouble set up

For ladies I put Robin Subaru 35's on nice step thru comfort bikes.
Its one thing to buy and install a cheap engine, its a whole 'nother to try to crank it.
Robins usually crank on the first pull, purr quietly, and I have never met a string pull so user friendly.

yes the Robin Subaru is a very simple no trouble set up -- for sure worth the extra money

a Lady friend of mine bought this set up a while back
she loves it
total break downs to this point with her MB and my MB also = 0 --- yes I also ride Robin

not wishing to knock the Happy Time engines we see around so much
but -- these things are pretty much proven to need
tools used at many times !!!
no matter what you hear -- quality can not be garanteed or expected with HTs.........

note -- anything you can find that's made in Japan -- will run a long, long, long, long time

get one and have fun as you ride that thing

Last edited:
I would also suggest a Robin rear wheel friction drive. They are very reliable engines & some of the kit types are very easy to install. Look at my avatar & you will see about what a " Chicken Power Motor " looks like. I would not recommend that one to you, even though I like them.
This link, which shows a Honda , rather than a Robin/Subaru engine, will show you in detail, how to install.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRjWAi3-XEA

granny

how are you with the thought of always mixing oil with your gas such as with 2-strokes ??

or would you perfer to just pull in gas station and fill up ??

this may be a big deciding factor ??

from -- grandpa Mountainman

granny

how are you with the thought of always mixing oil with your gas such as with 2-strokes ??

or would you perfer to just pull in gas station and fill up ??

this may be a big deciding factor ??

from -- grandpa Mountainman

That's exactly what I thougt. Grandma mixing two stroke gas and getting her socks and shoes splattered with the oily exhaust. As always a 4-stroke is going to be the best choice for most.

Just because she called herself a Grandma, let's don't come to the conclusion that she is old & feeble.
When I first moved to Florida, I saw a pretty young girl carrying a cute baby. I commented on what a pretty baby she had. She said, " Oh no, she ain't mine , she is my daughters !" " I ain't but 26 & I'm already a grandma , she said !" !! I almost fainted !

Back