Great site, for anyone. Teaching tool

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Al.Fisherman, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

I ran upon this site that would be very beneficial for all children. Site is totally free, and would be a great teaching tool. If you would, will you please pass this along to the many schools in your area.

Thank you for your time
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2012

2. wally

wally Member

Al, I am disappointed, The site is not as advertised. IE I can't see why schools should go there.
  3. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

Disappointed in what? The fact that the site is there or that you can't see it? What do you mean NOT as advertised? I got on and it's FREE. You can register so you can save your work, but don't need to.

This can turn the whole educational system upside down, which it needs.

For as long as I know, we do classwork at school, (some students catch on, some need help from the teachers), and homework at home.

Now we can do class work at home and homework at school.
    Example... something simple.. today's task is measuring angles and such.
    Teacher explains what he/she wants you to cover, go home, do the work, return for a quiz, and those that have problems still, can get one on one. A weekly schedule of tasks can be given out at the end of a week, Poor students won't drag the rest of the class behind. My son was not a good student, he was ahead of the class and got board easily. I wish I had this when he was in school. I could of done so much more.

131,416,102 lessons delivered
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  4. justlurking

justlurking New Member

I think it is a cool site :)
    I am not sure why Wally is disappointed :(
    thank you for posting !!!
  5. wally

wally Member

Because yesterday the site had been high-jacked and I ended up at a stupid google-like site with "" in the url, full of adverts. I see that it is now correct and different to yesterdays site.
  6. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

Here's a link to a good presentation by Salman Khan, founder of the Khan Academy, which explains his concept and vision: It is well worth watching. I know of one Christian school (K - 12) which is using Khan Academy materials throughout their curriculum, at every level. They have been doing so for 3 years, and have seen average scores in core academic subjects (as measured by State mandated tests) increase by over 20%, with "grade appropriate" benchmarks becoming essentially meaningless.