Greetings All

zmiracle

Local time
1:41 PM
My name is Lauran and I live in Tucson. I put a 25cc Red Max 2-stroke engine from GEBE on a 1980's mountain bike about 4 years ago. I promptly rode it 1000 miles to Winnemucca, Nevada. I was headed for Seattle but it was late in the year and I got very, very cold and had to stop there. I ride it as my primary transportation wherever I can and haul a Burley trailer behind when needing extra room.

Last year I rode 2300 miles from Seattle to Tucson (the long route). The bike weighs in at 65lbs, I'm 125lbs and the trailer had 70-80lbs of gear and the engine did a fine job with no problems. When I got got home I rode it around for months before sending it in for a tune up to find the clutch plates needed replacing for around $40 or so. That was at 6,500 miles. I currently have around 7,500 miles on it.

This year (May, 2008) I'm purchasing the 35cc Subaru mini 4-stroke from GEBE and planning a 3000+ mile trip hauling the Burley again, but this time I am making a supreme effort to lighten the load. I carry way too much stuff!

I will mention that on the second trip hauling so much weight I did have problems with the spokes breaking. About half way through the trip I had new super strong spokes installed a little tighter on the side where they were breaking and haven't had any problems since. Someone had suggested getting a tandem wheel installed with really good spokes and I would have considered it if this last spoke job hadn't held up as well as it has.

So much for my adventures. I'm looking forward to hearing the stories of others. I must admit to being a bit intimidated by how to use this site and hope that I can figure it out before getting too frustrated. I may know a bit how to ride a motorized bike, but some of this posting stuff I find confusing!

Welcome to MBc zmiracle! Stories about your long trips would make great reading in the Traveling & Commuting by MotoredBike section. We'd like to hear more about them. Regarding your thoughts about using this site, please feel free to ask questions if you any difficulties regarding navigating or posting. :)

Hi LauranWelcome to MBc! Home of many answers, and awaiting your ideas.
I dream about riding the miles you do. Wow!

General request to all new members.
Please, before posting any questions, do a search. Then READ,READ,READ.
There is a ton of information here. Many of your engine and performance issues in the Garage & Tech/Mech Help have already been covered. Here at MBc we are the home of nearly all MoteredBike questions. If you search and are unable to find your answer, don't hesitate to post your question. Were here for each other! Enjoy! :D}

Also Lauren, If your confused about posting, give me a PM (personal message) and ill respond asap. (I just screwed up a posting today) sh## happens.

Welcome to MBc Z. You're off to a good start on the forum. Glad yo are hear and cain't wait to read about your adventures. Hope you took lots of photos to share.

Back