greetings and procrastinations...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by kpratt66, Dec 27, 2008.

1. kpratt66

kpratt66 New Member

...Wow security's tight here... thought I was building a space shuttle for a minute- not a hack...lol

Okay, I'll try to be good.

Kelly in Fla. Building a sidecar rig. 'Hope to get it done by the time Social Security runs out...

Attached Files:

2. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

awesome looking project!!

How do you like that stretched cruiser?

welcome to MBc.

enjoy!!

3. biken stins

biken stins Member

Good start. Did you use plans you found somewhere or they yours ?
    Did you give any thought to putiing fiberglass over mesh to make it lighter ?
    Well Done.

4. kpratt66

kpratt66 New Member

Off the cuff...

Hey all-
    This was just something I came up with- back of napkins-etc...
    I wanted the sidecar to be " the real-deal", if you will- I'd thought about a military-style rig- or early 30's. The sheetmetal definitely beefed things up a bit. I've seen some neat designs on the web using painted canvas, 'glass etc... I know it's a trade-off with the metal...If I sell the thing I think the old-world engineering will be an eye-catcher. I've used scrounged materials - pieces of excercise machines, recliners, bikes, etc. for the tubing for the "suspension" on the car. I didn't really design it for human transport- my Boston terrier is my copilot.... and groceries??
    Anyway, I don't weld, and I wanted something that I think could have been built 70 years-ago. So, hence the screws and bolts.
    The bike was purchased online a couple years ago- a no-name frame out of California. The springer front end was from another co. also in So.Cal. I actually sold the bike about a year ago- when I bought a Triumph Tiger that died on me in the middle of a 5,000+ mile trip out west...
    I started the sidecar at the end of November, and by chance saw the guy who I sold it to- I wound up getting it back acouple weeks ago. I wanted the extra wheel-base because of the size and weight of the car- I've seen a number of other examples of the style bike with 'cars, and it just seems to fit.
    I want to get 3" meats all the way around-
    for a little extra grab, as well as a little less bicycle-look (no insult meant..;)
    Sorry for the orientation of some of the pics-
    Will post more as I progress... kp

5. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

I can relate to your philosophy.....I mean....I dig it!! haha

Please start a Build Thread in Bicycle Repair & Modification so we can watch this beauty come together.

Not that it matters one lil bit to me, but I gotta ask...... Are you going to motorize it?