Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Demosthenese, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Demosthenese

Demosthenese Guest

Hello to everyone!

My name is Andje Lewkowicz-Lalonde. I live in ottawa ontario, which, to those who know it, is an amazingly bike-accesible city. Our public transport sucks, but the nonsuburb areas are small so its easy to live here without a car (imho). I bike everywere, accept in the winter of course when you pretty much have to take january and february off most years due to the snow.

i was looking for bike stuff on ebay when i stumbled accross the chinese engines. It piqued my interest and after a quick google search i found this site, as well as the other hundreds of amateur and small company sites. Pretty much spent all night going through them lol.

I bought my engine a couple days later, and its currently in the mail, to arrive hopefully next week. Im thinking im going to be putting it into a 2007 Wolverine mountain bike, which is currently my city riding bike.

In ontario of course, its highly illegal (aw shucks) but im not planning on making a scene. Ive talked to some police friends (i work in the superior court) and they say that they would hesitate to ticket someone pedeling a bike with an engine in it, which is basically what i plan to do anywere i could get caught. Ottawa is FULL of bike paths, and ill probably run the engine mostly along those. we shall see.

Even if i can only use it out of the city at my cottage or watever, im totally stoked to start this project. Ive never done any work watsoever with gas motors, so itll be good to start on something small, cheap and simple like one of these engines. Thanks to everyone for this site and all the work that has clearly gone into it; i can definetly say that for someone entering the hobby it is very reassuring to see how much support people have been getting on here. I look forward to sharing my build!

2. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

Welcome to MBc 8)
  3. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

and we look forward to watching it :)

welcome to the MBc 8)
  4. iRide Customs

iRide Customs Member

Welcome to the group!
  5. mefonz

mefonz Guest

Welcome to the fun :grin: Hope you have fun putting your engine kit on your bike. :smile:
  6. drimpact

drimpact Member

Welcome to MBc :razz:
  7. azbill

azbill Active Member

welcome to MBc Andje ! :D
    please don't forget the pics !!!
  8. Better get used to that :D

Welcome. :grin:
  9. beach cruzin

beach cruzin Guest

welcome to MBC
  10. locoWelder

locoWelder Guest

welcome to MBc Andje ! 8)
  11. wavygravy

wavygravy Guest

hello canada

a big hi to our neighbors to the north! build us a snow bike!!
  12. spunout

spunout Member

Welcome to MBc! nice intro, Andje 8) 8)
    Happy :mrgreen:
  13. quay1962

quay1962 Guest

Hi andje,
    welcome to MBc! i have learned allot about these little engines since we put it together in june. i have rode it to work 3 times about 12 miles one way...the vibrations on a mountain bike are far worse than you must constantly check every bolt, nut wire etc, so parts of your bike aren't all over the road. ie: tail light hanging, i even had the fuel line come apart and spray the magneto full of gas, good luck i was 8 blocks from work thank God for pedals, lol. it was the one hot day last week, have fun man and don't let it frustrate you too much. :grin:
    ps i still love it! :p
  14. Demosthenese

Demosthenese Guest

lol to be honest i've been wanting to do a snow bike for years (without a motor of course :p). although we get fair snow here in the winter the clearing services are excellent, so the roads are technichally ridable 2 out of 3 days through december-february. the issue is mostly the road salt eating the bike and the wind speed. in ottawa in the winter the wind is the thing we complain about, not the minus 30 celcius :p. i have actually been blown over on my mountain bike with no warning.

other wise riding in the snow isnt that bad with eye protection (from salt water) and appropriate clothes, as long as your careful arround the corners.