Greetz from Russia =)

Pedro de Pakas

Local time
6:09 AM
Hello everybody, I`m from Saint-Petersburg, Russia, I`m eighteen years old and my realname is Nikita.
I`ve just started my first motorized bicycle project few days ago and it is meride kalahari 601 with rather old russian "D8" 45cc engine.
Before this bike i had two mopeds, but decided to builts something lighter and more convinient to store at home.
Here is the pic of bike with engine fitted to frame, actually I haven`t done something more than that cause i hadn`t found tank and muffler this time.:cry:
motorized-bike.jpg
http://funkyimg.com/t2/212/053/motorized-bike.jpg
Sorry for my not perfect english:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum... I think it would be easy to find a fuel tank. But for the muffler, I'm not sure if the muffler or exhaust for the chinese engines would fit. Maybe your local motorcycle or muffler shop can build one for you.

Nice bike, is it on top of your sofa or on your bed?

Welcome aboard, Nikita.

It looks like your English will suit. No problem there. Technocyclist is right; that is a nice looking bike. good luck.

welcome -- nice looking motor bike -- engine looks to have some power

we are looking forward to hearing more from and about Russia

maybe some pictures of you riding your MB -- that would be cool

have fun as you ride that motor bike THING

Thank`s for warm welcome, yeah the bike is really cool, looks pretty oldschool and engine fits frame perfectly, production of the engines of this series was started in early fifties and on the bikes of that peroin frame tubes were more thinner than on modern ones, so it was hard to find bike that would perfectly fit the attachment part of engine, but i`ve recalled in my memory that i had seen this one in bicycle shop where my friend works and it was exactly what i needed, so i`ve bought it at a surprising friendly price near 107$

Exaust from chinese engines won`t fit cause it has two bolt connection, and my engine has small threaded pipe on cylinder and nut that presses the exaust pipe to that pipe on cylinder. The way is just to cut out the pipe from chinese muffler and weld my one there, but the problem is that spares for the chinese engines are too hard to find, i`ve saw some complete bikes with chinese engines, but i visited that shops and they told me that they dont have any spares, what should byers of that bikes do when something is broken i wonder?:rolleyes:

I`ve thought about self made muffler and temporary tank and i think i`ll take piece of plumbing copper pipe, fit it to the back of exaust pipe and put there silencing part from my last moped muffler (don`t know how to name it correctly in english, here we call it flute), i think it will work normally.
And the tank i gonna make from big tin-plated can, like this
i`m gonna make it germetical by soldering sutures and make threaded filler on the top, maybe just a part of another can, i`ve seen ones with threaded caps, some of auto chemical products are sold in that cans.

Welcome to MBc.
Lots of great ideas for custom made parts though out the forum.

Pedro -- could we get a little more information regarding your engine

is yours from the fifties ?
what condition does your engine appear to be in ?
are MB engines made in Russia today ?

hey -- have a great day as you -- ride that motor bike THING

the "D" series motors started in 1961 with D4 engine, it had one-piece cylinder and cylinder head,
album_pic.jpeg
http://funkyimg.com/viewer.php?img=/2/503/146/album_pic.jpeg
then was D5, i don`t remember exact differences now, but it looked pretty same
then D5m appeared, it was like D5 with new cylinder, separate with head
5m.jpeg
http://funkyimg.com/viewer.php?img=/t2/667/881/album_pic.jpeg

then D6, some changes in ignition, now possible to connect lights to it
6.jpeg
http://funkyimg.com/viewer.php?img=/t2/653/102/album_pic.jpeg

then was D8, like my, there was enlarged diameter of crankshaft where rotor is attached, that`s only difference i`le noticed, my engine is D8 with crankshaft and rotor from D6 and it`s ok

the last one was D8e, with external high voltage transformer

now they aren`t produsing MB any more:cry:
last series were in early 90`s as i know

Last edited by a moderator:
the last one was D8e, with external high voltage transformer

now they aren`t produsing MB any more:cry:
last series were in early 90`s as i know

Nikita,
great info...& pics.

I have 2 D8 engines running...... I love them! They have the large, frame mounted coils.

tis a shame they are no longer being made.

Welcome to MBc.

(pedro de pakas 'pacas' was an old character name used by "Cheech & Chong", back in the 1970's.... I always liked the name.)

Back