ground to aluminum bars ok?

A

Alex J. Boros

I recently purchased some new parts to build a Staton-inc 2-stroke (Tanaka PF4000) axle mounted kit, and I'm wondering if I can successfully ground the kill switch wire to my new aluminum handlebars, which are black in color. If all goes well, the kill switch itself will be mounted to the black aluminum bars by means of a simple steel clamp (ring shaped).

I plan to use sandpaper to carefully remove the black paint on the handlebars which will be directly under the ring-shaped steel clamp.

Will this work? If not, is there any way to successfully ground to aluminum bars (any suggestions)?

I ask this because I used to ride a Staton-inc 4-stroke kit (Honda GX35) with the kill switch wire grounded to plain, silver-colored steel bars -- not to black aluminum bars.

Thanks

be sure bars are connected by metal to frame (plastic quill fittings)

Also make sure no paint is preventing a good connection anywhere from the handlebars to the engine. A little sandpaper on the spot each piece connects makes sure of a solid ground: killswitch to handlebars, handlebars to steerer tube, frame to motor mounts. A great way for a solid ground from the motor to the frame is to use a wire connected from the motor to a screw hole in the downtube or seat tube meant for drink holders or w/e.

Back