growling chain on the engine sprocket

Bernie T

Local time
2:54 PM
i don't know if my chain is to loose or what. This is a new build on a Huffy.I'veread they have some problems with the chain rubbing the tire,but this seems like it doesn'thit the engine sprocket evenly.Fella's I need help.Thanks

Make sure you have proper alignment and chain and sprokets lign up good and straight w/ eachother! Pulling the chain to one side or the other upon the gears with bad alignment will cause noise.

Second, it's possible the pitch of the sprockets are off, try going with the thicker chain, about $15... Run a search for where to get it and the specs you are looking for. There's a lot of talk on this site about them...

A loose chain will do the same thing, but it will be more of a ringing sound. There should really be no more then a 1" or so deflection in the middle of the sprockets!

did you ride the bike before you put the engine in it?
did you check the rear wheel bearings before you put the sprocket on and engine in the frame? did you adjust the rear wheel bearings?
I ask this because if you took an off the shelf bike, built by some ya-hoo that works at wal-mart, chances are that he never adjusted the rear wheel bearings when he slapped the back rim on the bike. ( he doesn't have to because the wheels come pre-assembled or he didn't care enough to check their adjustment.)
The grease that is used on the bearings on cheaper bikes is garbage grease. Usually they don't put enough grease on the bearings so they can save a buck.
This may not be your problem, but it's possible.
If I were you, I would remove every set of bearings from the bike, clean them, and re-grease them with some good quality grease. You need to pack the bearings with grease, not just coat them. make sure grease gets packed into the bearing cages.
Then make sure you adjust the bearings so they aren;t too loose, and so there is little to no drag.
Beleive it or not, but properly greased and adjusted bearings will add to your speed.

noisy chain

sprocket bearings were dry.I would have bet it was the chain.OK now Thanks so much for the help.
Bernie T

i got a problem with that stuff myself also and i cant keep my rear hub tite it keeps loosing up what do i do to fix that

Back