Grubee freewheel sprocket?

Discussion in 'Frame Mounted Engines' started by TWalker, May 16, 2008.

1. TWalker

TWalker Guest

http://www.grubeeinc.com/USA/4%20stroke.htm

Anyone know how this works? Is it an actuall freewhell on both sides? Even for the motor drive?

Thanks

2. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

I'de like to know more about this myself,anyone had practical experience with this?
    bfef_1.jpg

3. fatboy67

fatboy67 Member

Correct me if I'm wrong , but That's only a freewheel at the sproket because the motor is a pull start. The cranks that are there are cranks that are made wider to go around the motor/ to have clearance around the motor I don't think those cranks are freewheel.
    Again I might be wrong.

4. ducatiluke

ducatiluke New Member

yea it means when you pedal your not turning theleft hand chain and sprockets ,your clutch can be let out ,, it is also nice for coasting as no chains spin when going down hill

5. kerf

kerf Guest

My Staton has a left hand freewheel on the engine drive. They are great and will spoil you rotten. With the centrifugal clutch, just back off the throttle and you're coasting. As for peddling, absolutely no drag, won't even know the engine's there.

6. Demosthenese

Demosthenese Guest

fetor that's the keyed non freewheel hub, isn't it? if so i have one. once you put the whole thing together the band brake is held on mostly by having nowhere to go, it attaches at the front to the bike with a bracket that is soft enough to form fit to your bikes tube. i have managed to get reasonable breaking power out of it, but i would compare it to the old caliper breaks at best, it has no skidding power at all. I now have a dual pull brake leaver setup on my bike that uses the front disk brake as well, between the two i feel safe.

7. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

Demosthenese:
    My idea is to use this Heavy Duty hub in conjunction with the 44T sprocket & method of mounting it.Later if wanted i could swap to other sprocket tooth sizes,it's the mounting system that i'm concerned with.You would need to redrill the sprocket to swap to commonly available HT sprockets but that's no big drama....6 hole to HT's 9 hole.

8. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

I bought this to use with a dual-suspension mountain bike with a Titan rear kit.I'm not interested in the drum brake only the heavy duty sealed bearing hub with it's sprocket mounting system.
    In order for it to work i had to tap out one of the bearings with a piece of wood & swap the axle around & use a single sprocket with freewheel.The derailleur also needs to be locked.
    Today i'll order heavy duty spokes & later lace the wheel but i can't see why this won't work.....i'll keep ppl posted.
    P1010057.JPG
    PS...my intention is to use all this with a heavy duty,wide rim & Maxxis Hookworm 26X2.5 tyre.

9. japennell

japennell Guest

Does anyone know where a Grubee freewheel sprocket can be purchased?

I am a very happy owner of a ThatsDax 48CC.

I am intrigued with the idea if this Grubee freewheel sprocket. However, I do not see how I can purchase one. Does anyone else know?

Thanks

10. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

I've tried a 7 speed & 6 speed cassette on this rear hub & they don't fit.Hopefually this week i'll try a 5 speed & it will fit,rather than a single speed & locking the derailleur.

11. djase10

djase10 Guest

Hi all
    Yeah im very interested in this,
    a freewheel rear end is the next thing for me i think,
    as going down hill is the BANE of my rides,
    over reving/ clutch-in slowdowns.

fetor
    here did you get that 1 mate , and how much did it cost?
    regards Jase

12. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

My hub is NOT freewheel as i intend using it with the Titan system on a dual- suspension MTB.I'm either going to use a standard 5 speed freewheel(hopefually) or a single speed freewheel and lock the derailleur.
    Cost AU$91 including freight:
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=290132078780

13. ocscully

ocscully Member

If you want a multi speed freewheel to fit this hub I believe you need to flip the axle and its spacers to make enough room for everything. Check out alaskavan's tadpole trike thread or maybe it was a thread called ultimate rear hub. But Alaska shows the process of removing the axle and reinstalling it so a multispeed freewheel will fit.

ocscully

14. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

Appreciate the advance warning man,i've already worked the solution on one of my previous comments here:

"I bought this to use with a dual-suspension mountain bike with a Titan rear kit.I'm not interested in the drum brake only the heavy duty sealed bearing hub with it's sprocket mounting system.
    In order for it to work i had to tap out one of the bearings with a piece of wood & swap the axle around & use a single sprocket with freewheel.The derailleur also needs to be locked.
    Today i'll order heavy duty spokes & later lace the wheel but i can't see why this won't work.....i'll keep ppl posted."

Fits our motorbikers creed though......better to be told 10 times than none at all. :)